Clutch/Tranny Spline Lube

Wanna talk BMW K bikes? Here's your home.
grant81rs

Clutch/Tranny Spline Lube

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday Folks,

The spline lube job on my 1994 K1100 went well over the weekend and after reading a ''walk through'' procedure and also watching the videos from Chris Harris at Affordable Beemer Services on youtube who btw is now operating as ''Team Monkey Productions'' which is basically the same workshop and BMW bike repairs but with a slightly different twist to it, how do I how this? well I designed his new logo for the business, plus its on his facebook page :)

Anyway the K went up on the bike lift, the plastic disposal plates got laid out on the bench with a black pen, this is for marking the nuts n bolt and laying it all out in order as the parts came off the bike, easy to put back on.

When I got into the spline and after 155,000kms there was a little sticky, hard grease left on it and the spline itself looked like new, in very good shape and also the drive splines looked great, very lucky indeed.

And a close up of the tranny spline

The gearbox was removed completely and given a good clean as was the clutch housing.
All went back together well, with everything getting a good clean, the centre stand was also given a good clean and regrease and the exhaust system is off to the metal polishers today for a makeover as he owes me a couple of favours and has been waiting for me to remove it one day, it should come up nice!!. Cheers

Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
Major Softie

Re: Clutch/Tranny Spline Lube

Post by Major Softie »

Thanks so much for the photo story.
MS - out
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Well done man, it looks a different beast in there to the RS, eh.
Lord of the Bings
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday Jeff,

Been awhile since I was in the deep with my old RS mate, but all went well and I did not rush the job as the heavy winter rains played their tunes on the shed tin roof over the weekend.
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Well done and pix were great.

Just embarking on the rear drive spline check/grease on my, new to me, 89 K75S...have to get a new rear tire on so thought best to do this check while there.

Couple questions on gearbox removal...similar to our airhead gearbox removal procedures? Time wise, what do you reckon to remove check/grease clutch splines and get back on back. I was pretty quick on the old airhead, maybe one hour off and another 45-60 min back on....but then again had done enough times.

When you pull the final drive /drive shaft off does swings arm come away seperatly?

Any input appreciated. Got a Haynes from the PO so might as well read through it too... :lol:
Retired from work....not life!
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday Moosehead

Considering this was my first attempt at pulling a "K" apart I just took my time and was in no rush, I had only once replaced a rear main seal on my 81 RS a few years back so I was a little rusty and nervous at having a crack at this, but in saying that, the next time I could do it much quicker and I would be happy for myself to do the complete job in a day, each to their own I guess mate.

I just left the final drive on the swing arm and it all came away in one, I just bluffed my way through it and it worked out fine.

I looked at a few youtube videos from Chris Harris at Affordable Beemer Services which were a great help and I put a couple of links below if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDwlNGVf ... nVKe7d-wIg

This video link below is a 6 part walk thru on a spline lube for a K100RT, good and helpful to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZJdZ1HszkA

Many thanks and have fun
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Thanks for the video links Grant...I'm a "seeing" learner vs "reading" learner and now it all makes sense...good to give it a go maybe next weekend.

I like how he just removed whole exhaust system along with muffler and left foot hanger. Think that is easier approach then trying to just pull muffler and realigning on re-install?

I'll wait for one of the boys to drop in next weekend...they can do the grunt work and I can just cuss and do the play-by-play while filming :lol:
Retired from work....not life!
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday,

Yes they are good videos to get you in the mood..

My next precautionary job soon is to replace all the coolant system hoses, not to sure if or when they have been replaced before by the PO's so it's better to be sure then get caught somewhere.

I have flushed the coolant a few times in the last 18 months since I brought the bike, fan works well and the temp gauge sits bang on the money.

Cheers and best of luck
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa