Test rode a R1200 R classic

Discussion about modern BMW twins
Ridercam

Test rode a R1200 R classic

Post by Ridercam »

The idea of me turning 50 this upcoming year has made me think too much and not want to regret when I am old thoughts...
OMG! As a airhead with a my last bike purchase 20 years ago (a r100cs which I bought new in the box) I stopped in for some parts and ended up on a test ride. Once on I realized I now could be riding something new, parts available and with a warranty as I effortlessly felt the smooth engine, slipped into a sporty handling technique and took handful of brakes that were made to stop an old guy from making a fool of himself.... As a rule for myself, I know why I should never go to strip clubs, drink too much at a hot friends house or even go for a test ride, it leads me to thinking yes I can.

On the other hand... I know that my next bike is the last one I may buy new. This might be the one. The out the door price is scary as it is above 14k and given my tight budget a hard green pill to swallow. Until then I save a few more bucks and may pull the trigger in September if my job and business keep going well. Until then I will keep my fingers crossed that these bikes will be in stock when and for me to think about my next riding platform in life. Once before its too late, I would like another new off the floor bike that is just for me... This might be it. But then again... my wife likes hardwood floors...
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
SteveD

Re: Test rode a R1200 R classic

Post by SteveD »

The 1150r was perceived as being a great bike by most that owned one, and the 1200r has been widely acclaimed as taking it to a new level.

Spendy though :( .

How many times do we live?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

A new bike changes the interest from wrenching and talk to riding and talk. A fundamental shift from a DIY guy.

Much to ponder and miles to ride. Best place to think about this is on a two lane road with a late lunch somewhere 100 miles to away.
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

Ridercam wrote: I know why I should never go to strip clubs, drink too much at a hot friends house or even go for a test ride, it leads me to thinking yes I can.
Although "50" and the new floors are behind me....... I feel your pain.

But while I am in fantasy land - why the R rather than the K. What are the pros and cons between those?
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Twice since riding opposed twins, cars have boadsided me. Both times the heads saved my legs. That's not to say I didn't love k bikes. Moreover I always thought that a gentleman rides a boxer.
melville

Post by melville »

Ridercam wrote: Moreover I always thought that a gentleman rides a boxer.
And this affects you HOW?
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

I've ridden the R1200R. It is SO light feeling, and damn quick. I loved it. It was faster and better than my Duc in every way but sound (and the fact that it didn't try to kill me).

It is also FREAKING expensive for a standard naked bike. Around $10,000 will get you a nice used one, two or three years old, but there aren't a lot of them out there.
MS - out
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

EverythIng is expensive. But realistically how much longer can we ride our airheads. At the last tech day I attended, I saw a bike being salvaged instead of being built. No other airheads out of the 100 folks who showed worked on thier bikes. At the annual death valley ride, it seemed more folks rode other bikes instead of our clubs. I went to the dealer for parts and simple carb balancing in San Francisco... I was told to go somewhere else cause they no longer do that as they no longer have the "tools".
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Ridercam wrote:EverythIng is expensive. But realistically how much longer can we ride our airheads. At the last tech day I attended, I saw a bike being salvaged instead of being built. No other airheads out of the 100 folks who showed worked on thier bikes. At the annual death valley ride, it seemed more folks rode other bikes instead of our clubs. I went to the dealer for parts and simple carb balancing in San Francisco... I was told to go somewhere else cause they no longer do that as they no longer have the "tools".
Everything is expensive, but my Duc was $10k new.

The "tool" they no longer have for balancing the carbs is a mechanic who knows what a carburetor is.
MS - out
vanzen

Post by vanzen »

I'll turn 58 this October.
Bought an R1200S about 3.5 years back.
Best self indulgent responsibility be damned decision I ever made.
No regrets – with the exception of the monthly payment ...
which, although it ain't much, due to the bike being a year-end demo,
continues, in spite of my present financial insolvency ...

Still, no regrets.

Every time I throw a leg over reaffirms the choice.
I'll ride it as it was intended – until the bank comes to pry it from my cold dead hands.
Rode today and loved every fuckin' minute of it !

Life is short – My advice:
If you have the expendable funds, have no other pressing obligations, and will actually ride the thing –
do your ever dying ass a favor ... BUY IT !