Clutch / transmission input splines

Discussion about modern BMW twins
ctally

Clutch / transmission input splines

Post by ctally »

I read on this website about the input shaft splines needed to be cleaned and re-lubricated every 20,000 miles or ‘annually’ on the 1970 R75/5 through the two valve K75 & K100 models. Since the transmission is almost the same on my 2000 R1100RTP, does anyone know whether this should be preformed on the later models?
Major Softie

Re: Clutch / transmission input splines

Post by Major Softie »

No.

They made changes that made that unnecessary. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that you don't EVER have to lube the shaft on an oilhead, but you definitely do not need to follow the schedule recommended for a /5.

Someone else will come in and tell us what the current thinking is on the Oilhead shafts. I've heard conflicting reports, but you could just Google "input lube oilhead" and probably find a lot of information, and perhaps dissension.
Last edited by Major Softie on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MS - out
CVA-42

Post by CVA-42 »

"Descension" as in, say, coming down from a certain intellectual, moral, or social standard or "dissension" as in a difference in sentiment or opinion?
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Thank you. Fixed.

:D
MS - out
dickvandevelde

Post by dickvandevelde »

I have a GS 2001 with only 85000 kms on it. The clutch spline stripped out and also did major damage on the input shaft. So I replaced them both and re-lubed them. I found it quite low kms for that kind of a failure.