Should I or should I not????

Discussion about modern BMW twins
Major Softie

Re: Should I or should I not????

Post by Major Softie »

That is a ridiculously high price for a 97. Yes, it's pretty, but the prices on others out there are nowhere near that pricing. That is, of course, a USA perspective. I don't know where you are, but I see you're talking metric.

I decided to hang onto mine when I discovered that I probably couldn't get $4000 for it with 50k miles, perfect condition, Ohlins shocks, and brand new Metzelers.

For less than that price, you can get a twin spark 1150, which pretty much solved the surging issues. With that kind of money to spend, I'd be looking for a twin-spark, but any 1150 is better on the surging than the 1100.

I agree with the above comment about the 94 transmissions. Personally, I just avoid the 94's, but if you did go for one, only go for one that has received the replacement transmission.

The RS is still a very beautiful motorcycle, but make sure you really want that seating position. The RT was MUCH more popular (despite being nowhere near as good looking), so there are about 100 times as many aftermarket options for that model. If you want to chew up miles, get an RT. The RS is better in its ability to "go both ways," sport and tour, but I found both sport and tour are more fun on more dedicated machines.
MS - out
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Yes that black one is very nice looking but I agree with the Major: way overpriced.

The twin spark 1150 oilheads can have problems with the stick coils, which are located on or near the cylinder head I believe, going out due to heat. There's tons of discussions on the R1150R.org web site on that issue and others specific to the R1150's such as clutch spline issues, final drive problems, wiring harnesses going out, etc.

No bike is perfect though.
It's all downhill from here. Except for the uphill bits.

The Veg

Post by The Veg »

FUTURE wrote:My real concern if it is a post 93 1100 is the bearings in the drive shaft/paralever.
I think you'll be OK. That FD design only really gave problems in the K1200LT, which was way-heavy for that FD's design capabilities.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
Ross

Post by Ross »

I live in Australia. The price of R1100RTs is even higher than the RS's I have quoted here.
Me wittle bit of the web........http://rossmz.blogspot.com/
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Bummer.

Well, in Aussie dollars it's a little better, but not much. If that's what they're going for, and 1150's are substantially more, then that black one is certainly very nice.

I think because our market is flooded with used police RT's, it has really depressed the used RT prices. The California Highway Patrol puts about 100k miles on them, but the cities usually return them at a little over 50k or 60k.
MS - out
Ross

Post by Ross »

NSW police put 40,000kms on their R1200Rts before they sell them.

I like the R1100s. So if the black one is still there if I decide to finance it will be at the top of the list.

Riding the R100LT to work this morning was so good. I so love this bike. I hate having to decide what to do......
Me wittle bit of the web........http://rossmz.blogspot.com/
CVA-42

Post by CVA-42 »

Got no problems with Oilheads. Great bikes. I've owned three of them. Had an 1100RS and sold it because of the ergonomics. Can't handle the RS riding position anymore. My only caveat about the RS is to make sure it's comfortable for you. Otherwise, have it at.
pmonk

Post by pmonk »

I have always liked the RS. To me it is one of the best looking oilheads ever built and the black is so Classy!
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Despite the price differences, I think I'd go for the black one too. It's at the end of the model range and most of the issues would've been worked out. I guess if there were "issues" they should've been worked out along the way by now anyhow.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Mal S7

Post by Mal S7 »

I agree with Steve.
Get the black one Ross.
It looks the better deal when all is said and done,
the price looks closer to a realistic ... see if you can klnowck em down a K.

cheers
Mal