Non-ABS bikes

Discussion about modern BMW twins
CVA-42

Non-ABS bikes

Post by CVA-42 »

I'm mulling over the possible purchase of an '09 1200GS without ABS. It's 500 miles away so I haven't ridden it. Over the past nineteen years I've had several oilheads and hexheads, all with ABS. From previous comments on this board, I know there are members who seemingly wouldn't touch a bike with it but I've had three, four, or even five experiences that I can recall that have made me glad I had it or, at least, that's what I believe contributed to my good fortune. But I've never ridden a non-ABS "modern" BMW. Can anyone compare - - from their own experience - - the behavior of a non-ABS vs an ABS bike?
bbelk

Re: Non-ABS bikes

Post by bbelk »

My R90/6 has antistop brakes and I am still kicking. I don't think I could lock the front one on dry pavement ever and the back on only by standing up on the brake. I think ABS is probably a good idea, but having never ridden one, I suspect, non-ABS is survivable.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

ABS caused two minor get-off's for me, both low speed on very sandy or gravel covered roads on rather steep downhills where the abs keep the wheel from locking up when I needed it to lock up - in fact was trying to lock it up.

On wet or dry clean pavement, the only bad thing I can say about it is that it trains you to rely on it, which can get dicey when switching to your more old-school vehicles - especially the back brake in panic stops.
MS - out
gocytocis

Post by gocytocis »

CVA-42 wrote:...I've never ridden a non-ABS "modern" BMW. Can anyone compare...
I have a G650x with single Brembos front & back, no ABS.

I specifically wanted the non-ABS version due to my off-road use of the bike, and after taking the BMW GS off-road rider training course with the bike, I saw first-hand how ABS becomes a real liability off-road, especially on the rear brake. The ability to rear panic brake, control steep descents, & break the back end loose for tight corners all become unavailable with ABS switched on.

On the otherhand, also off-road, I once also washed the front end out from under me by applying just a tad too much front brake on a low-speed curving descent (BTW, that old adage about NOT using ANY front brake off-road is a myth). I'm not sure if ABS would have helped me in that situation or not, but I suspect it wouldn't have hurt.

On-slab, not having ABS has not hurt me at all. Those Brembos are simply fucking awesome brakes with plenty of linear feel and massive stopping power. They are predictable & give plenty of feedback as the lock-up threshold is approached.

I recognize that I am talking about my experience on a little 300lb bike, and your question concerns a bike with an extra +/-200lbs to stop, so that's worth considering. Having said that, I have never had ABS on any of my larger litre street bikes either, and I've never missed it on those either.

I am not dismissing the value of ABS; they certainly forgive ham-fisted panic grabs. But I believe if you're well-trained on non-ABS brakes, on a variety of road conditions, they aren't essential to safe riding.
'72 R75/5
wookie

Post by wookie »

At 90mph in the fast lane of IH70, R1100RS. A four wheeler entered from my right and headed directly for me. I showered down on both brakes and avoided the blind cage driver. I love ABS.

Wookie
CVA-42

Post by CVA-42 »

Yes, the need to be mindful when switching from non-ABS to ABS equipped is something I've been aware of but so far it hasn't caused me any problems. As for off-road riding, I generally don't do it anyway on my 1200GS and really never have in the thirteen years I've had an 1150 or 1200GS. I want something lighter and more maneuverable for that. As for ABS for street riding in general - - I see it as a good thing and, as long as it's available, I want it. My latest "why I like ABS" story involves two deer that appeared out of nowhere at mid-day. The first cleared the bike fine but the second lost his momentum when he scrambled on the pavement just as he got in front of me and I missed him by inches. Without ABS, I think it might have been different. Maybe not, but I don't think so. In any case, I'll pass on the non-ABS GS.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

CVA-42 wrote: As for off-road riding, I generally don't do it anyway on my 1200GS and really never have in the thirteen years I've had an 1150 or 1200GS.
Just to clarify: my story about ABS biting me in low traction situations was on sand and gravel strewn pavement - on my R1100RS. I doubt that I am riding on less maintained roads than you are on your GS. ;)
MS - out
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

My 2007 R1200gs's ABS could be switched off with a button on the left hand switchgear assembly. No hitting the button an eye-blink before a panic though; the bike had to be stopped to switch the ABS off.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Mostly you won't notice any difference in general riding. When I was touring the Balkans last fall I had to do an emergency speed reduction before an avoidance maneuver. The ABS kicked in and I know I could have slowed down much faster in the dry conditions I was riding in. It was scary as I'm used to making the tires howl when I need to. I was nowhere near the limit. IMO ABS is a safety asset on slippery streets, but if those streets turn to gravel, and you can't or forget to turn it off, it could also hurt you. For those that don't know how, or don't regularly practice emergency braking it's an asset. I've seen guys go down because of ABS as well.
Any and all disclaimers may apply