1998 R1100RT Switched Power

Discussion about modern BMW twins
ibjman

1998 R1100RT Switched Power

Post by ibjman »

I'm lookin for the quick & dirty answer to a simple question.
What's the best place to pick up switched power on the 98RT for wiring multiple accessories?
Currently, I'm looking to install a power pickup terminal behind the dash.

If no solution is offered I can dig into the wiring diagrams but I thought I'd try to take advantage of the other members experience.
I have a powerlet on the left dash but I believe it's wired hot at all times.
Thanks, Ibjman
Major Softie

Re: 1998 R1100RT Switched Power

Post by Major Softie »

I've fed all my mods off a 10g fused wire I ran from the battery, so I've never run anything off a switched line except the relay trigger for an added fog light, and that, of course, came off the headlight line. If no one else here has any help for you, try the www.bmwrt.com forum.
MS - out
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

Wot the Major sed. Don't add loads that the engineers didn't plan for to existing circuits.

For one accessory you can do the fused wire with a relay. If you know that you're going to get into multiple accessories there are a couple of different fuse-blocks you can add that feature both switched and unswitched circuits. The Centech AP-1 was the most popular one for a long time but I never liked the bulk of it.

Another good point to tie-in a lead to control a relay is any switched wire that goes to the diagnostic port, if your bike has one. That way you're less likely to interfere with the functioning of of the real working bits.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
ibjman

Post by ibjman »

OK, thanks for the replies.
I intend to install a relay and a new circuit ......I sometimes dislike having a gazillion extra spades stacked up on the battery terminals.
I think I'll investigate further into the relay box to see if I can pick up a hot wire of from a starter relay which (might?) be wired directly to the battery?

I guess I should have rephrased my question. I think what I want is a "switched" wire behind the instrument panel to pick up the switched power "signal" wire for the relay to the auxiliary fuse box power feed.

Thinking about this a bit further I guess I need to install the relay, & switching wire somewhere at the relay box with a 20A fuse.....then run a single wire up to the instrument panel to power the various accessory connections.
However.....if I want to have the fuse box accessible for replacement of fuses,,,, I'll have to place it under the seat somewhere and run several different wires forward to the dash.
I usually end up with an over engineered rats nest. Bahhhh
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

ibjman wrote:OK, thanks for the replies.
I intend to install a relay and a new circuit ......I sometimes dislike having a gazillion extra spades stacked up on the battery terminals.
I think I'll investigate further into the relay box to see if I can pick up a hot wire of from a starter relay which (might?) be wired directly to the battery?

I guess I should have rephrased my question. I think what I want is a "switched" wire behind the instrument panel to pick up the switched power "signal" wire for the relay to the auxiliary fuse box power feed.

Thinking about this a bit further I guess I need to install the relay, & switching wire somewhere at the relay box with a 20A fuse.....then run a single wire up to the instrument panel to power the various accessory connections.
However.....if I want to have the fuse box accessible for replacement of fuses,,,, I'll have to place it under the seat somewhere and run several different wires forward to the dash.
I usually end up with an over engineered rats nest. Bahhhh
At least it's an RT. There should be plenty of room in the fairing for all of that except the fuse that (as you said) you'll want easy access to. Even my RS had plenty of room for all sorts of stuff like that. I just finished building a turn-signal wiring harness for a Suzuki DR-Z400E, and BOY what a pain trying to find room to put anything!
MS - out