R1100 RT (97)

Discussion about modern BMW twins
kiwirider63

R1100 RT (97)

Post by kiwirider63 »

I have just bought a 97 R1100 is the a mod so the engine can run with the side stand down, I am used to warming the bike up on the side stand B$ taking off. Maybe a mod to bypass stand switch?
wookie

Re: R1100 RT (97)

Post by wookie »

Very little warm-up is necessary. When you are ready to go, climb aboard and start the bike. Let the oil circulate for a moment and ride off at an easy pace until oil is warm as shown on your rider display. Leave the cold start mechanism part-way on 'til you have 2 or 3 bars on the display.

My suggestion is not to disconnect the s/s switch. It s there to protect YOU.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Not that there's anything wrong with Wookie's suggestion, but, if you would still like to do it, IBMWR.org has two different ways to do it:

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/Si ... ndex.shtml

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/ru ... tart.shtml

If you google the question, I'm sure it's out there in other places on the web, and there may be some other alternatives.
MS - out
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

Will it not run at all on the sidestand? That seems a bit odd.

For comparison, my 1985 K100 had a cable between the clutch-lever and the sidestand that prevented either pulling the lever while the bike was on the stand, or would retract the stand if the lever was pulled with the bike upright. The two R1200GSes I've had will run on the stand but only in neutral- and in fact just yesterday I accidentally killed the engine when I came to a stop and my left foot, on its way to the pavement, inadvertently caught the sidestand and made it move toward down a few inches while the gearbox was still in first.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

The Veg wrote:Will it not run at all on the sidestand? That seems a bit odd.

For comparison, my 1985 K100 had a cable between the clutch-lever and the sidestand that prevented either pulling the lever while the bike was on the stand, or would retract the stand if the lever was pulled with the bike upright. The two R1200GSes I've had will run on the stand but only in neutral- and in fact just yesterday I accidentally killed the engine when I came to a stop and my left foot, on its way to the pavement, inadvertently caught the sidestand and made it move toward down a few inches while the gearbox was still in first.
Yes, Veg, the 90's Oilheads won't run at all with the sidestand down. Obviously they made an improvement with your GS. The links I gave Kiwirider show how to modify the Oilhead to make it work just like your GS comes from the factory.
MS - out
garyc

Post by garyc »

I used this method on my '96 r1100rt. This way you can warm up the bike with the stand down then if you put the bike in gear with the stand still down it will kill the engine.
http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/Si ... ndex.shtml