ABS lights

Discussion about modern BMW twins
kiwirider63

ABS lights

Post by kiwirider63 »

I have just replaced the battery in my 1100 RT and now 1 abs light stays on all the time the other stays off.
I hear the solenoid clicking randomly.
SteveD

Re: ABS lights

Post by SteveD »

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
kiwirider63

Post by kiwirider63 »

Further update to the above problem that I cant find in any txt.

Now when I start lights blink as normal, when I take off disappear as normal, BUT NOW WHEN I GET THE SPEED AND REVS UP OVER 4K THE LIGHTS COME ON AND STAY ON UNTIL ENGINE OFF ??????????
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

kiwirider63 wrote:Further update to the above problem that I cant find in any txt.

Now when I start lights blink as normal, when I take off disappear as normal, BUT NOW WHEN I GET THE SPEED AND REVS UP OVER 4K THE LIGHTS COME ON AND STAY ON UNTIL ENGINE OFF ??????????
That sounds like the fault that happens when voltage drops too low.
MS - out
kiwirider63

Post by kiwirider63 »

This all started after I fitted a new battery. Why should the speed and revs of the bike effect the ABS lights
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

kiwirider63 wrote:This all started after I fitted a new battery. Why should the speed and revs of the bike effect the ABS lights
And there is your big clue.

The ABS fault will come on if the voltage drops too much. Speed and revs affect voltage - but normally more revs mean more voltage. If speed increases and voltage drops, it's a sign of some short in a winding that shows up when revs build. Time to start running around with a volt-meter all the time so you can see what's going on. If you have a voltage drop that causes the ABS fault, then the problem is clear. If the voltage doesn't drop, then it's a problem with the ABS. My guess would be that either there's a loose connection that is causing just the voltage feed to the ABS to drop, or there's something wrong with one of your ABS sensors or their mounting/clearance.
MS - out
kiwirider63

Post by kiwirider63 »

Hi Major and others, I have fixed the problem,
The problem was down to the new battery, just because it was new didn't mean it was strong enough even tho the model was recommended for my type of bike. Under higher revs the motor was drawing more current than bat could supply.
Causing lights to flash, etc. I have gone back to a 19ah lead acid and all is good.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

kiwirider63 wrote:Hi Major and others, I have fixed the problem,
The problem was down to the new battery, just because it was new didn't mean it was strong enough even tho the model was recommended for my type of bike. Under higher revs the motor was drawing more current than bat could supply.
Causing lights to flash, etc. I have gone back to a 19ah lead acid and all is good.
Interesting. That would have been my first and final guess if you were having the problem at startup and low rpm. Never heard of it happening when it revs up because of the battery, because the on-board charging system should be providing the required voltage. I wonder by what mechanism this was occurring....
MS - out