Xmoto

F & G model single & parallel twin cylinder model discussions
gocytocis

Xmoto

Post by gocytocis »

Just thought I'd try to generate some traffic on the G&F board with a pic of my Xmoto... :D
'72 R75/5
Zombie Master

Re: Xmoto

Post by Zombie Master »

Looks like a cool ride. Is that Husky based?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
gocytocis

Post by gocytocis »

Zombie Master wrote:Is that Husky based?
Close, but I believe the lineage runs the other way around. That Husky Terra 650 is actually based on BMW's G bikes, and they all share the Rotax 650 thumper.
'72 R75/5
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Much of my riding is on a thumper. I hate baggage.
gocytocis

Post by gocytocis »

Zombie Master wrote:Much of my riding is on a thumper. I hate baggage.
Agreed!

I started my riding career on twins (parallel, V, & of course, flat) but got seduced for a period by I-4s. After a rash of license-threatening incidents, and a recognition that I-4s are now so far advanced beyond any kind of riding that can be sanely done on public roads, I got my first thumper: a KLX 250.

I instantly fell in love with the lightness, the torque, & the overall minimalism of it. After a couple of seasons however, I grew tired of the constant downshifting for hills & headwinds. I decided I needed a 650 and became pretty focused on getting a Suzuki DR, or Honda XR, but I just couldn't find one for what I was willing to pay.

When this G Moto appeared for sale in another city, I frankly had never seen one before but I made the trip with cash in hand and have loved every moment of ownership since (except the oil changes; THREE drain points, REALLY!?). It's as close to an all-rounder as I've ever owned: Urban commuting, highway, twisties, off-road, & even short overnight trips are all well within the capabilities of this thing.
'72 R75/5
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

My Yamaha XT 600 has 3 drain points!
gocytocis

Post by gocytocis »

Zombie Master wrote:Yamaha XT 600
Ha, now there's a model you don't see often, at least in my part of the world! What year is it? How long have you had it? Thoughts?
'72 R75/5
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

gocytocis wrote:
Ha, now there's a model you don't see often, at least in my part of the world! What year is it? How long have you had it? Thoughts?
They used to be rather ubiquitous, but you don't see many around anymore.
MS - out
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

gocytocis wrote:
Mine is a 1990. I love the thing. It has grease fittings. :D It is so easy to service and everything just keeps on working. It has front and rear disc brakes, 4 valve head with dual header and dual carb system. Allen head bolts on most fittings. Makes grunt like a big single should. I've had over 40 bikes and I think the XT is the best bike I've had in terms of what it has done for me! It has taken me further, and caused less grief than any machine I have owned. I've had it for 14 years and it makes me smile every time I ride it. If I could buy an new one I would. I would like the 660 Tenere, but they aren't available in North America.
gocytocis

Post by gocytocis »

Zombie Master wrote:It has grease fittings.
I wonder if that was a Yamaha 'thing'? My first bike was a '79 XS650 & it's the only bike I recall owning that had grease fittings too. Saved a lot of labour! Along with the valve-clearance inspection caps, the head-mounted points cover, and carb-balancing thumb screw, that was the easiest bike to keep on the road!
'72 R75/5