BMW R80 front brake lever

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
tritonbob1953

BMW R80 front brake lever

Post by tritonbob1953 »

Hi I'm new to this site, could any member please help me regarding my 1983 R80 which has been modified to a cafe racer.

The front brake lever on the bike has a little play in it which causes the front brake switch to activate the rear brake light continuously. When I push the lever forward against its stop the light goes out but as soon as I release the pressure on it comes again. Could anyone tell me whether the lever can be adjusted or can the brake light switch also be adjusted ?

Also could any member be able to tell me what the large knurled adjustment screw below the front brake lever actually does ?

Thanks in anticipation,

Bob
SteveD

Re: BMW R80 front brake lever

Post by SteveD »

Welcome Bob.

The knurled nut acts like a cruise control. Use it as such, or even to hold a cold idle, or 3K rpm if syncing carbs etc. Some leave it on 100% and adjust their technique, some don't. Pros and cons...

Try removing the front switch, give it a clean and reinstall. maybe it's loose? Two minute job.

Btw, it's a quirk of this board that sometimes new posters use this section...which unfortunately seems to get a little less traffic.
Best to use the "Post 70's Airheads" forum.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
tritonbob1953

Post by tritonbob1953 »

Thanks for your reply Steve, will give your suggestion a try.

Regards,

Bob
Rob

Post by Rob »

Perhaps one of our kind moderators will move this thread upstairs for us.

Welcome! Congratulations!

Take care with the throttle stop screw. Too far out and you might loose it. Not a problem, but on bikes that BMW shipped without this, they had a plug in the hole to keep water out.
And you have to remove the screw (along with the top of the throttle gear housing) before you can slide the throttle grip off of the handlebar.

We like pictures, but here, you have to have your images put on a website like Photobucket or something, and then link to them here, from there. Also, take care in sizing, as this forum software does not automatically resize.
Rob V
tritonbob1953

Post by tritonbob1953 »

Thanks for all the responses, removed old brake switch, cleaned it, re-installed and hey presto it works perfectly now, as a precaution though have ordered a new one and it's rubber boot from Moto Bins here in the UK.