2017 Border Run

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
SteveD

Re: 2017 Border Run

Post by SteveD »

Neither did we. :?

The post mortem tomorrow night might tell us more and get to the exact problem.

Despite the issues, we still had some fun and managed to make the most of it. Has Grant mentioned the Torana?
Brett came thru magnificently and on his birthday too!
Doug was fantastic, absolute champion. Such generosity was great.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

I checked the valves this morning after chatting with Jeff last night.
Yep so very tight on both sides and I am now officially at my most embarrassed point ever in my life.

I rang Brett my mechanic mate who came over before work this morning for a look after I told him about the tight valves and last night tbh he was in a hurry after work so the compression test was only done to confirm that and a few scenarios throw around.
He to looks a little sheepish but I would say pissed off as it was a 10min job to check, reset and confirm full compression again, had I done that Friday night we would of been on our way but the symptoms were electrical to me in my head and that was my focus all weekend. Jeff even said Saturday to whip the valve covers off and check clearances which I ignored as the boys were on their way back to Adelaide and Brett was heading across from Melbourne.

ITS ALWAYS THE SIMPLE THINGS :(

Ive only done 3000kms on this bike since owning it, I checked the valve when I got it and all were good, I gave it an oil change two week ago before the trip but did not check the valve and I should of done it. Again embarrassed and a slack effort with maintenance which I am normally so on the ball with. Live and learn but it did fuck a few good mates around for a couple of days.

Any ideas about valves tightening up like they did?
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Very easy to not consider valve clearances when not aware of the issues with our valves and seats, mainly to do with 81-84 bikes.
Could be seat or valve recession. Or both.
Lord of the Bings
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Jeff,
So once I get it started again, what should I look out for and what would of caused this?
Is it a case of checking valve clearances every 1000kms from now on and watching what happens each time and keep a log of the clearances, or in time do I need to machine heads, seats and acquire new valves etc.
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Grant, thanks for the detailed update.

If the valve clearances closed up in 3000kms I'd be wanting to go in there for a look around. It won't cost much if nothing is wrong (you'd prolly want to replace head gaskets and pushrod seals) and you get to check the condition of valves, seats, guides, pushrods, lifters, pistons, rings, camshaft and big-end bearings (if you want to go that far). You'll be well aware of the danger of mi$$ion creep of course.

ps: I suspect that none of this happened. No photos.

pps: Please tell us the Torana story.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday Fellas,

The story of the Torana is this.

Whilst waiting and walking aimlessly around the historic township of Burra in South Australia for SteveD and Doug to return with the search n rescue trailer, I got talking to our Motel proprietor at the Burra Motor Inn. They lavished my with hot frothy coffee, fox tel tv, a warm heater to sit beside plus I got to pat their two cats, it was all happening in down town Burra.
Anyway I get talking to Paul about cars, bike and all things with wheels and after a while he said, come with me I have something to show you, so we walk a while to this secrete location and he pulls back the door to reveal his immaculately restored 1970 GTR Holden Torana which was under covers.
Now to our American friends reading this post just google about this Australian icon of a car and this rare model and you will understand want I mean.
This thing was pristine and has had a as new restoration from front to back..

"You wanna go for a run" paul said, "The sun is shining and I only drive it on sunny days", quickly the cover was folded up nicely and the thing roared into life and before I knew it we were off fang''in around the back roads of Burra, getting one hell of a tour around town... What a great bloke he was and once again their hospitality was 10/10

Steve had to post the photos up on the next post, sorry but photobucket is not a happy place anymore
Last edited by grant81rs on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Botofukit doin' its thang! :cry: :evil:
You need to get another picture storage site Grant! They won't link anymore unless you pay lotsa $.

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/video/ ... sode-16-1/
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Great story, Grant. It seems that it's when things go wrong that you really get to meet the locals - and they are always such good value.

Then there's the blokes who bail you up outside the supermarket to say, "Ah, a BMW. They go forever, them things". So helpful when you are trying to figure out why the indicators aren't indicating or [your current problem here]. But, bless 'em for their faith in BMWs.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

...and then there are the tossers that say "get a Harley". We turned away and ignored them.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Sorry about your problems but as Charlie says: that's how you meet the locals. If it's running good again check the valves in 100 klms,if still good, then 500 klms, if still good then 1000. If not still good, it's time for some head work.
Any and all disclaimers may apply