Helmet to helmet communications

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
dwerbil

Helmet to helmet communications

Post by dwerbil »

Thinking about getting a set for a passenger and myself. Any good recommendations? Bluetooth the way to go? I'd probably prefer to adapt a push to talk button since I tend to growl outloud at traffic. lol

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
Zombie Master

Re: Helmet to helmet communications

Post by Zombie Master »

I've got a buddy who just did a bunch of homework on this. Stay tuned.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

There are a lot of really good units out there, especially if you want to integrate blue-tooth to your phone or GPS. Both Scala and Sena get high marks. However, they are a bit expensive. Frugal person that I am, I have a pair of Shark MBT intercoms. They're blue tooth and have a range of about 1000M. My wife and use them when she is a passenger or when she's on her bike and we are traveling together. Only about $90 from Amazon. We originally got them to see if we would like having intercoms. We're on our second set. They develop a few issues after a couple years. They also can sync to your cellphone so you can accept calls while traveling.
Last edited by Gryphon on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gryphon

Resistance is futile; if less than 1 ohm.
dougie

Post by dougie »

thursday.jpg
thursday.jpg (41.41 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

"Depends what they're looking for. I like the Sena 20S, but I don't use mine for bike to bike communications often. Works okay over a short distance for that if needed. I use it more for personal media connection. Has ear bud connection built in and can get separate mounting kits so it can be moved between helmets and easy to operate. Will connect to most any other Bluetooth system.

Guys who ride in packs all the time seem to prefer Scala Rider PackTalk for it's networking features."
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I prefer the disconnection time motorcycling affords me!
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

I have been looking at all the models for the past few weeks, even ordering and returning a unit unopened. Been reading all the feedback on about every model from various sites as well as google searches. Scala and Sena are the most popular models out there many offer the 3.5mm speaker jack that allows you to use earbuds or a different set of speakers pretty easily. The reason I rejected the Scala Q3 was I felt I didn't like the mounting options and height, I have a new C3 so I wanted to keep wind noise down to a minimum. Both in helmet units offered by Schuberth and Sena have issues so they are out IMO. Having a removable mic is a must, I don't want to be connected to anyone, just to music or directions if I want.
Biggest feature difference is battery life, number of riders one can intercom with (more riders more $$). There are 2 other brands that have very good marks, the Interphone and the Uclear. The interphone is 100% waterproof, has buttons for every function which is an advantage over Scala and Sena as they have button combinations and various button push codes for functions. Most all have FM depending on the model you purchase. The Uclear does not have FM, is the most expensive, 3 button operation, it and the Interphone do not use the 3.5mm jack so you have to work around that issue to use your buds. They do offer upgraded speaker systems that get high marks. Both the Interphone and Uclear get great dependability reviews.
Right now I am going to use my Apple buds and just hook them on to my iPhone and stick it in my pocket and if the weather gets good enough, go for a long ride.

gg
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

jagarra wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:58 amRight now I am going to use my Apple buds and just hook them on to my iPhone and stick it in my pocket and if the weather gets good enough, go for a long ride.
I did something similar last year on my trip to Canada and the MOA rally. The difference was I used an Android phone and a set of Etymotic ER6i earbuds that I've had forever. They were a hi-end product that I got on sale one day for a significant discount and they are noise-isolating, which means that the music doesn't have to compete with wind-noise (thank goodness!).

I used the Google Play app to serve-up the music, which is good because it allows you to put a bunch of stuff in the que to be played, so no stopping to select more. I'd que-up a day's worth (mostly Rush albums on that trip, LOL) in the morning and let 'er rip.

I don't generally have anything in my ear while riding either, but for getting across USA on the stoopid-slab for a few days, the music really helps.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Love Rush!