old scool new bikes

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Zombie Master

old scool new bikes

Post by Zombie Master »

Any and all disclaimers may apply
Sibbo

Re: old scool new bikes

Post by Sibbo »

Complete with a pre unit box.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

A pal just got back from Nepal where he rode the single cyl RE Himalayan for 2 weeks. He liked it. He had one photo sequence where they crossed a ravine some 150 feet wide and 600 feet deep on a swinging V-shaped cable bridge. They were only able to do this with the motorcycles because the bottom of the "bridge" had a single wooden board about twice the width of the tires.

Yikes ! :shock:
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
dougie

Post by dougie »

Do we know anyone who has, or used to have a Royal Enfield.
All I ever heard about them was not good. The typical unreliability stuff about older Brit bikes, and that the Indian ones were just as bad or worse.
I find something compelling about an air-cooled 500cc single with push button start (for my old bones), but I despise dodgy electrics.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

I work in a Brit bike shop, and actually the most reliable bikes there are the RE singles. I like to work on them because they are simple to work on, readily respond to maintenance, and are really fun to test drive. The English versions used better sealants. The Indian versions have vastly updated electrics. Both have virtually the same bullet-proof engine design and velvet smooth ride.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

The English versions used better sealants.
When was the last time the Royal Enfield was built in England? 1960's? Sealants are much better today than back then.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
dougie

Post by dougie »

Wobbly wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:41 pm I work in a Brit bike shop, and actually the most reliable bikes there are the RE singles. I like to work on them because they are simple to work on, readily respond to maintenance, and are really fun to test drive. The English versions used better sealants. The Indian versions have vastly updated electrics. Both have virtually the same bullet-proof engine design and velvet smooth ride.
Thanks for that.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

A friend has one of the military look models from 2015. He loves it. I read on advrider I think that there were reports of rods thru crankcases. My friend disputes any issue.
http://sumpmagazine.com/motorcyclenews/ ... -bikes.htm
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rob V
Rob

Post by Rob »

And for only $2892 USD, do 10 days yourself!

https://www.bookmotorcycletours.com/rid ... desh-india

Hidden Land in India Motorcycle Tours
This adventure tour in the Himalayas of mystical northeast India covers the state of Arunachal Pradesh. The tour will test your riding skills to the max. Slush, sand, rain, jungle dirt tracks, rocky river beds, boat rides, and camping makes this ride a religious experience for the ultimate adventure seeker. This intoxicating mix of culture and adventure guarantees that every second of this tour will make you feel alive!

Highlights

Ride through narrow dirt tracks
Visit a few Buddhist monasteries
Starts in Dibrugarh and ends in Delhi
Ride across a 500-feet long suspension bridge
Royal Enfield Himalayan dual-sport 411cc motorcycle rental
Transfer from and to the airport
9 nights accommodation
Rob V