What are your boots?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
SteveD

Re: What are your boots?

Post by SteveD »

No, as motorcyclists, I think many Ozzies are forever on the lookout for the jumpy buggers. They're in plague proportions and they hurt if you hit them.
You have deer, we have 'roos. There was once an Ozbike gear company that made leather jackets and pants from 'roo hide..Stagg leather was their name and they only exist as wholesalers now. I doubt they use 'roo hide anymore.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Steve in Golden wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:18 pm Boots? Boots are for weenies. I wear shorts, t-shirt, and sandals when I ride.
Funny you added that. I was just in a conversation with an EMT who went to a lot of motorcycle wrecks. He said the cafe crowd would usually be standing there with a cut finger and broken foot, crying over their bike that got laid down at 70+mph and trashed. The helmet, gloves, and armored outer clothing took all the beating, but they were OK.

Then there were the V-twin guys in shorts, T-shirts and sandals who got killed at low speeds because they were totally under-clothed. He recounted one incident where 2 bikers were riding side-by-side and turned into a scenic overlook, when the rider on the inside changed his mind. The two collided at 5mph, sending the other rider over the bars and onto his head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

I'd rather be hot, but alive !
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

There is protection and then there is protection. As I get older I want more protection. I haven't ridden without full armored gear in the last decade. Good news is that the stuff is some much better and comfortable. You don't have to be hot if you can afford the gear.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

I seem to be agreeing more and more with ZM lately. Maybe because I am getting older, wait a second, I am older in my 70's. :o I also have been buying better more protective gear in the last year. Bought a Vanson leather Sport jacket, even went for a pair of leather bottoms, which may be a little too big as I lost some weight. Finally jumped from the $100-200 range in helmets and bought a Schubert Pro 3 model.
I figure with the riding time I have left I don't want any injuries to shorten it in any way.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

jagarra wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:34 am I figure with the riding time I have left I don't want any injuries to shorten it in any way.
+1

67yo, Schuberth S2 (in Hi-Viz), etc. :lol:
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

My boots are a pair of Sidi On-Roads, for cold and or wet weather. They are old but have never leaked. The other pair are also Sidis, but a mesh style (still full height) for summer riding.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker