Decent review of EV motorcycle

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Zombie Master

Decent review of EV motorcycle

Post by Zombie Master »

Any and all disclaimers may apply
enigmaT120

Re: Decent review of EV motorcycle

Post by enigmaT120 »

When my Darian suit arrived, Riders' Warehouse included a copy of a book about various of their employees commuting through the Duluth winter on a slightly modified (to keep the battery warm) Zero. It was interesting. But can't you still get that 200 mph, 200+ mile range (probably not both at the same time) sport bike for $30,000? Zeros aren't really cheap.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

No one said they were cheap.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Interesting. Thanks for posting.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

ZM's article wrote:The first Eviation production model is slated to arrive in 2020. It will carry six to nine passengers using electric motors supplied either by Yasa of England or Siemens of Germany as well as 6,000 pounds of batteries. If that sounds like a lot, well, it is – but it’s necessary to propel the aircraft, which will have a max takeoff weight of just under 12,000 pounds, a max payload of 2,750 pounds and a cruise speed of 240 ktas, all fairly incredible projections from a company that wants to change the world of aviation, and maybe the world in general.
6,000 pounds of batteries? :shock: :shock: The "fairly incredible projections" sound like some Elon Musk-style pie-in-the-sky stuff to me.

What the world needs is a revolutionary new battery. Until we have that, I just don't see how electric airplanes are going to be practical.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Steve in Golden wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:13 pm
ZM's article wrote:The first Eviation production model is slated to arrive in 2020. It will carry six to nine passengers using electric motors supplied either by Yasa of England or Siemens of Germany as well as 6,000 pounds of batteries. If that sounds like a lot, well, it is – but it’s necessary to propel the aircraft, which will have a max takeoff weight of just under 12,000 pounds, a max payload of 2,750 pounds and a cruise speed of 240 ktas, all fairly incredible projections from a company that wants to change the world of aviation, and maybe the world in general.
6,000 pounds of batteries? :shock: :shock: The "fairly incredible projections" sound like some Elon Musk-style pie-in-the-sky stuff to me.

What the world needs is a revolutionary new battery. Until we have that, I just don't see how electric airplanes are going to be practical.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-23/w ... sa/9183868
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Steve in Golden wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:13 pm [quote= The "fairly incredible projections" sound like some Elon Musk-style pie-in-the-sky stuff to me.

Musk has his own reusable rocket delivery system. I wouldn't discount that guy! When you consider operating costs, maintenance, and pollution, electric is going to happen. The sooner the better IMO. Now who's going to make that lightweight battery?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Zombie Master wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:06 am Now who's going to make that lightweight battery?
I thought that is what this was for: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10391#p124650
Rob V
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Rob wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Zombie Master wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:06 am Now who's going to make that lightweight battery?
I thought that is what this was for: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10391#p124650
Probably be a good while before that comes to anything.