Take airhead to Europe?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
SteveD

Re: Take airhead to Europe?

Post by SteveD »

Yeah, mates have hired in Germany and ridden to the IoM.

Ensure you have a good lock and park it smartly.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Its a go. Check is sent to pay for the shipping from Los Angeles! I will be riding it down on Presidents day from the San Francisco Bay Area. The bike is being readied. I will do a valve adjustment and change the fluids one more time. I decided to go with the hepco bags. The Krauser's latches are sucky comparatively. it will be a minimalist set up. adding a few tools to the bike. Inside the bags I am placing a leather riding suit, a warm fleece, a rain suit, a high visibility vest, helmet and 2 sets of gloves. The bike arrives in early may in germany.

as of today - I planning on flying in with a light backpack containing a 3 underwear, 4 socks, 3 tee shirts, a padded bicycle riding shorts, 2 jeans, fleece leggings and a shave kit along with a decent camera, a roam adventure camera and an ipad pro. The goal is to ride the bike in late May in Heidelberg and returning it back to Heidelburg for a flight out via Frankfurt. I plan on doing 8 days then. It is my desire to return back to Europe for three weeks in September and ride to Provence via Italy doing hotels and camping along the way.

As you can tell I am excited taking my own bike there. It will be civilized with good food, sightseeing and a pace that fits the days. In the end - it is the reason I have had the bike for over 30 years - to take me to great places to meet new people and see the world on my own terms.
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Great plan. I'm sure we're all jealous, I know I am, and look forward to pictures from places like the Stelvio pass etc.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

That sound wonderful! Keep us posted!
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Prepping the bike for a cold ride down to LA on Monday or early Tuesday morning. Washed to get a visible inspection of things. Oil and filter was changed 300 miles ago. Added New tires a week and a half ago. Have a new pair of fork socks to put on and still tweaking the panniers a bit. Will adjust the valves and recheck again torrow. I am trying for a minimalist tour and want to be light. A small sleeping bag and tent will be added. Everything will fit in the Hepco cases and out of sight to most people. Truthfully I am a bit nervous about sending the bike but when riding solo - she will be like an old friend.

https://youtu.be/o5KkZcc-UUg
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Had an unbelievable summer with my 1983 R100CS. 5000 miles in 2 X 3 plus week rides. But let me start where I left off.

https://youtu.be/o5KkZcc-UUg

I washed the old girl for a visual inspection, playing with the bags and about to set the valves for a ride down south this week to drop her off so she could be loaded into the shipping container. There was some nervousness in my actions but I thought everything will work out nicely.

I woke to a cold and windy day with highs in the low 50s across the state, snow on the Grapevine and wind gusts to 30. Didn't get to much sleep as I dreamt of roads, turns, repairs and family. Like Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Wife was wonderfully supportive and even bought my air ticket home the next day. IMy friend Andy who just got a g650gs wanted to ride to Holister or along the Pacific Coast Highway for the first 100 joined me at 8am at the house. We were on the road by 8:30. We (Andy and I) chose to ride to Hollister (smell of Garlic is everywhere and made us hungry) on Highway 25. Was perfect - sunny, less wind and perfect road. We split up at Kings City. I hopped on the 101 as it was in the high 40s and needed to make the coast. 10 degrees warmer. Made it to Santa Barbara late afternoon. Sat in a Starbucks in Santa Barbara charging my iphone (cable on bike fried). waited for the 101 to LA traffic to lessen.

The cold was all the way down the state. I was glad I avoided the Grapevine and the freeze and black ice. Epic first day on this emerging grande tour. There were many more to come!

Hollister - scene of the Marlon Brando film - the wild ones.

Highway 25 outside Hollister. One of the best motorcycle roads in the country.

Fast forward several months...Last weeks in May....

The stars aligned and yet I hesitated on making this trip happen. The reality of riding my own bike in Europe was done in a series of steps. My much loved motorcycle was waiting for me in Germany. There were cheap flights to had. I chose to do at least 9 days without losing too much. My intended route was around 1200 kilometers. My lovely wife was to be there for business and had a few luxury hotel site inspections with complentry stays in Verona, Como (with a fancy boat charter) and Milan. She is with a professional travel junket with others and doesn't need me around so my days could be filled with explorations, expresses and passing through in late spring. I did end up bringing her helmet with me so we can do the famous lake side ride one afternoon. It was almost too good to be. I know I am lucky to have pull this off. I had added to my luck by working nearly every day for the last four months to pay for this and other things I wanted to do in order to fulfill my personal bucket list. I thought I would miss my friends who said they wanted to join me but never made a effort despite my urging.

There is so little time to do all the things one wants to do. Life is good. Even in creating the good life, one makes hard choices.

My bike was coming in as a touring motorcycle doing Europe. It falls under a EU agreement as the bike would be impossible to track where it was with open borders. I did not have to pay my state registration this year or next. I'll still keep my California plates on the bike. It's pretty straight forward. Carry a copy of the title with you, green card motorcycle and medical insurance and I am purchasing the 1 year of their version of motorcycle AAA in case the bike breaks down or is stolen and they will take care of me and the bike.

Initial route plan:

Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

The day ride went long. Went to a what looked like a decent 1940s Art Deco motel to check in only to see a few unsavory characters carrying second amendment rights and encouraging thier women to be more entrepreneurial. Got my money back and went down the street and got another room for 20 dollars more in a quiet place that had no nocturnal activity. Comfortable about the bike parked outside. I took off the bags brought them in the room, took a hot shower and fell asleep.

Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

The drop of the bike was really easy thanks to Stefan Knoft. Took about 20 minutes. I rode it in on reserve fuel. The peacocks for closed and I disconnected the battery. Before I dropped of the bike I went to UPS when they opened and had my documents notarized to make the process go even smoother.

It was was a strange feeling to let the bike go like that. Not having her in my garage creates a void. Enough of that. I managed to pack my entire areostich suit, full riding boots, gloves, fleece, a special space age thermal top, fleece pants, a set of gloves and a hat with room to spare. I brought my helmet home. Tucked inside my riding jacket aboard the bike bags is spirit pouch which I found in the middle of the road early morning on the Idaho/Oregon border on my way to upper Montana - 5 years ago few days after my 50th birthday. I know it has goood medicine and carries sacred objects which guides and most likely protects me. I believe the person who had it before me lost itas they lost the right to carry such magic. I felt good about sending it there along with my bike. I feel the pouch will remain with me as long as I deserve it when on my journey. So in a way - I did a little ritual as I sent two very special things away which will join me later, keep me safe and on personal track.

Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

I flew out for Paris from the Oakland airport direct. My plan was to then take a regional train to Heidelberg arriving at 10:45 which i ended up doing but due to delays got me in at 1am. I carried only my helmet and my Kreiga US 20/ US 5 pack on the flight tonight. The extra bags which fit on the tail of my bike once fitted.... one would be pressed to find a better one. It is a bit "spicey" in price but it does carry a 10 year warranty, very well built and is completely waterproof. It does make a perfect match my hard bags and easy to remove when I step off the bike at night.

When I got to Stefan motorcycle BNB, there was Vilia waiting for me right outside my "Indian" room where I stared. To tell it truthfully, I nearly teared up with joy to see my long time riding partner ready for another life changing adventure. I woke up in the middle of the night and peeked again to make sure it was all real.

Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

I flew out for Paris from the Oakland airport direct. My plan was to then take a regional train to Heidelberg arriving at 10:45 which i ended up doing but due to delays got me in at 1am. I carried only my helmet and my Kreiga US 20/ US 5 pack on the flight tonight. The extra bags which fit on the tail of my bike once fitted.... one would be pressed to find a better one. It is a bit "spicey" in price but it does carry a 10 year warranty, very well built and is completely waterproof. It does make a perfect match my hard bags and easy to remove when I step off the bike at night.

When I got to Stefan motorcycle BNB, there was Vilia waiting for me right outside my "Indian" room where I stared. To tell it truthfully, I nearly teared up with joy to see my long time riding partner ready for another life changing adventure. I woke up in the middle of the night and peeked again to make sure it was all real.

Before I feel asleep, I went into the guest lounge. There in the fridge was a cold beer with a note on it -just for me! A perfect way to start a German motorcycle plus tour!