Take airhead to Europe?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Ridercam

Take airhead to Europe?

Post by Ridercam »

I am hoping to go on solo and joined adventures in civilized Europe. I have done my research and can send my bike there for less than a single weeks rental of a g650 or the like. The r100cs I own has always been my dream bike and now with 50k on the clock, new brakes, tires and fluids she is ready for another adventure. She carries a salvaged title from an insurance totaling due to a bad accident. She is not perfect but looks and rides well. So here i am at the near trigger to send my r100cs I have had since new by ship to Germany. We have been together so nice she came out of the box. although i don’t ride her as much due to family, career challenges and patchwork work as much as I’d like.

As you can tell I am getting fixated on riding in the years to come in France, Italy and Germany. I have several places to stash it when I come back home for work. I have come to realize there is no real retirement for me and will way past my 70s. That said - I decided to take 2 months a year broken up into usable chunks of foreign travel - many on my bike. Although I seem determined to move forward - there is some nagging back brain chatter questioning my choices.

There is a third part to this - my garage is small - it can only fit one bike. I ordered a new g310gs for urban riding commuter to work and an upcoming video project that needs to have some light dual purpose extensions. This coming new bike makes it difficult to keep both rides plus my wife’s car inside. She is already mentioned several times that one bike has to go. Like good mistresses - there are times we never can let a great passion leave so easily.

My question to you is - if you were me - would you send your airhead to Europe for several seasons of riding or would you rent as you go and not sweat it.
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Rob

Re: Take airhead to Europe?

Post by Rob »

I would find a friend with a large garage near you for the CS until it gets shipped. Or a cheap storage unit.
Rob V
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Rob wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:47 pm I would find a friend with a large garage near you for the CS until it gets shipped. Or a cheap storage unit.
So you would send the bike and do the ride on it?

I hate to waffle a bit. This choice is a big one for me. There is much sentimentality in all of this. I do feel a bit selfish as I don’t normally step this far out. I guess it is part of a growth thing. Although I am good at solo riding - such things would be better with like minded comrades.
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Rob

Post by Rob »

HELL YEAH, I WOULD!

If I had the means to keep a bike in Europe, and the ability to get to it a couple of times a year, well, that would be dreamy!

If you have done well for your family, getting them raised and the wife comforted, then it sounds like you have earned this.
Rob V
Rob

Post by Rob »

But you should also send it to Australia...
Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

As an original owner of a R100S I can see why you would want to ride you own bike in Europe. But I have done two trips to Europe. I rent, and while this is not cheap, I find it a real treat. If your trips are going to be a matter of weeks rather than months, then I would recommend renting. New bikes have some serious safety advantages as well, brakes come to mind. I rented a Ducati 1200 Multistrada out of Slovenia. Fantastic bike, but I would never actually buy one. I'm looking at going back this summer, and have found a rental place in Holland that even rents KTM's! All that fun without the toil. I enjoy not having to worry about the bike's maintenance, and when I'm done, I just give it back, with worn tires et al. I love that.

For myself, I can't imagine shipping would go well, or be a pleasant experience, and if they break something, then what? How's your German? When I travel that far, I don't want to waste time dealing with government crap and maintenance.

I can't tell from your post if you have permanent storage in Europe, or would in the end, have to ship it back, at what cost and grief?

As far as your small garage goes. A 300cc single doesn't take up much room. IMO a mature man should not have to decide if they can own two bikes. you're not going to be able to ride forever. Those bikes have different applications. You need more than one size of hammer. If you can't remove the car, as I would, then I would buy a bike barn. I used to have one and it did the job well. They can be found used for a fraction of new cost. I paid $200. for one in new condition 20 years ago. It is still in use.

http://www.thebikebarn.net/order.html
Last edited by Zombie Master on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

What ZM said. I wouldn't want to ship my baby off to Europe, who knows how it would be treated by the shipping company and others who might handle it in route? I'd rent if it were me.
melville

Post by melville »

Saint Matthew of Parkhouse has been writing about prepping a couple R60/5s for he and his wife to ship to Europe for a long tour there.

I'd do it myself if I had (as ridercam does) another bike at home and easy storage over there and the opportunity to visit the bike at least every year.

I'm done with aircraft, but a quick search shows steerage passage can be had for $500-$600 for Miami to Yurp each way.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

I hear what you all are saying and appreciate your input. I turn 55 this year. When I turned 50 I went on a 5k mile solo ride which lingers in the back of my mind as a epic holiday day to clean my soul and grant me the precious time to figure my priorities. I get the chance to do some amazing things professionally as a cameraman and married to a wonderful luxury travel professional.

This Airhead and I have been through a lot. It is more another spiritual ride than a solo tour. Although I didn't mention it...I really plan on riding through Normandy and the Loire in search of a small simple farmhouse near a village or town for me to buy. It is my hope that the bike and this little home when I find it - will define the next part of my life as we make the changes. Planting the bike there in Europe means my intent to make this step in rooted in combining all the things I love and want.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Well you're still young and have some time to ride. It would be nice to move to Europe. After touring NZ I did some research on living there, but they don't make it easy. Maybe we can meet in Europe and go for a ride!
Last edited by Zombie Master on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any and all disclaimers may apply