Blue tooth head set

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Zombie Master

Blue tooth head set

Post by Zombie Master »

Anybody use this technology? I never have. I can see it being useful. The only thing I use, is a set of noise cancelling ear buds which work well on their on for noise suppression, and I use them with an I pod shuffle velcro-ed to the side of my helmet, that give great sound and headroom without a lot of volume. I will listen to music on a full day tour for a few hours sometimes, can be pleasant. I have fond memories listening to John Scofield while riding through the Austrian alps. But I see the advantages a headset would be for GPS, Radar/lazer, and communications with other riders, or for a pillion....well maybe not.

Any advise or experience? :ugeek:
Any and all disclaimers may apply
enigmaT120

Re: Blue tooth head set

Post by enigmaT120 »

I could see it for Google Maps directions but that's about it. I don't listen to anything while I motorcycle, bicycle, or run. I don't know why, I guess I just don't want to. As you know my helmet is set up for bluetooth speaker/ear buds but mine have to be directly plugged into my device.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

My brother and I have tried 3 different sets of "communicators" and they all have their issues. First of all Google Maps doesn't work where there is no phone service unless you downloads the maps before hand. Since we ride in the wilds of north Georgia and western NC, that pretty much applies. Also, it's very hard to operate your phone with gloves on. The speakers take up too much room inside the helmet and hurt the ears, so we had to swap to ear buds... which means one more wire to unplug when we stop for lunch or pee break. Range is short line-of-sight, even with the over-priced Schuberth in-helmet model.

I initially got into it hoping that we could hook a GPS up, but you have to have the TomTom Rider or the special $700 Garmin for bikes. A car model Garmin doesn't export voice.

The whole thing has been such a letdown that the brother hasn't even mentioned communicators this year.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

As far a GPS goes, I've never had sound hooked up, but used them visually to get me through the Balkans, Alps, New Zealand and more. Very useful.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
dwerbil

Post by dwerbil »

I have a Autocom set. Used it a few times. The module plugs into a FMRS radio then into helmet speakers and a vox set. I ended up replacing the mike and used a PTT on the left handlebar which seemed to work much better. Sound is aircraft quality. IL need to get it going again for passenger chat.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

Back in 2007 I briefly had one of the first Bluetooth intercom systems, made by an outfit called BlueAnt. I also had a passenger for much of that year. Worked well enough, but had to be paired before each use and ultimately proved to be not very durable. I'm looking into the current products. MOA members get a small discount on one of the leading brands (I think Sena but don't quote me), but they tend to be pricey anyway and don't get the most stellar reviews.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Zombie Master wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:24 am I have fond memories listening to John Scofield while riding through the Austrian alps.
Nice one Neal. Ya come over hear and don't even tell us. :(
Lord of the Bings