K Bikes

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Gibson

K Bikes

Post by Gibson »

Been riding Boxer airheads for about 35 years or so. I will always love them. I sort of dismissed the K bike and never thought about owning one. Well I've been missing out on a some really cool bikes. I like the super smooth engine, broad power band and willingness to rev. A lot of really well thought out features and typical BMW high quality. And no vibration what so ever. I find myself riding this bike all the time! I did not really plan to keep this one, but now I think I will hang on to the K75 a while. Having too much fun with it... :P .
Zombie Master

Re: K Bikes

Post by Zombie Master »

In 1984 I tested a K100, I had been running my R90 for over a decade. But BMW said they were ending the production of the big twins, I thought it would be a good idea to buy the end of the run twin. I was very impressed with the K. It had better power and handling was good. It was heavy though, and I bought the R100s. I'm still running that bike, even today.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

I rode a friend's K75 once or twice. 'twas nice, smooth & powerful if a bit on the heavy side. Just didn't have the "character" and "soul" of an airhead. Still, a very nice machine.
richard t

Post by richard t »

Gibson 15 years ago I bought a 91 K75 because I got it cheap, to resale, I started riding it and still do they grow on you. Several of the old boxerworks gang had / have early K bikes.
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Yes it does grow on you, I've been riding it a lot. That appears to be a BMW bike trait. I like the Jetsons sound it makes. It is sort of addicting ;) . It does have a completely different "soul". My late airhead is lighter, has more grunt and handles better. K is big in convenience though. If the K were a tad lighter it would make a better commuter, but I am really enjoying it...
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

The first motorbike I ever owned was a 1985 K100RT that I got in 2001 as a non-running heap that was in dire need of refurbishing. It had been neglected in all sorts of ways, culminating with spending 18 months under a tree with no covering. I stripped it to the frame and refurbed it over a few months, getting much done during the nights-off I had from a job that worked a weird rotating shift schedule. As I'd never owned a motorbike before, I didn't know how to ride it. Before I had it ready to ride, I took an MSF BRC, and then when it was ready, I practised within my apartment complex for a while then started making short forays onto nearby streets. I took to it quickly and learned fast.

That old K seemed to me to have plenty of character. I have since ridden airheads, including owning a '95 R100R for a few years, and I'd say that the older Ks don't have less character, just different character.

I rode that Flying Brick for about 10K miles before lowsiding it one day a block from home (pavement worn so smooth it shined, lousy traction) and cracked-up the tupperware. I couldn't afford to rebuild the fairing, even with used parts, so I started turning it into 'the world's heaviest cafe racer' but soon after that it developed the dreaded starter-clutch failure. By then I no longer lived in a place with any enclosed work-space, so I sold it to a guy who mumbled something about using it to build a sidecar-rig. Some mutual friends told me a few years ago that he hadn't touched it and it was rotting in his yard.

But damn, I loved that K. It was so good in so many ways, and one way was that it always gave me exactly what I asked of it. If I wanted to docile-ly putter about the parking lot it was good with that, and if I wanted to crack the throttle hard and scare myself, it was good with that too. It was a faithful companion for many firsts in my two-wheeled life, including my first BMW rally (2002 Jailbreak In The Clouds), and my first 800-mile days (a trip from Dallas to Denver). I still miss that bike!

Here's a picture-gallery from those days: https://vegomatic.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/The-Brick/
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

That's a serous first bike! I started on an Allstate 250. Also know as a Puke (sic).
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

I had a Yamaha TX500 back in 1980 for my first street bike. I think it was $400 used.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Gibson wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:07 am I had a Yamaha TX500 back in 1980 for my first street bike. I think it was $400 used.
That would be a rare bird! Very good looking machine.