Rain Riding

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Gibson

Rain Riding

Post by Gibson »

I got stuck in pouring rain last night. In retrospect, I would have been smart to sit it out for a half hour or so. Visibility was very poor.
Steve in Golden

Re: Rain Riding

Post by Steve in Golden »

Hope you had good raingear. My biggest issue with riding in the rain is my visor and glasses fogging up on me.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Sometime the only way to see is without eye protection, a bad situation, but at times the only choice.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gibson wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:48 am I got stuck in pouring rain last night. In retrospect, I would have been smart to sit it out for a half hour or so. Visibility was very poor.
Been there.
My coat was a combo rain-proof that did it's job admirably, but my pants were mesh and my jeans were soaked by the time I got to work. Luckily, I worked late hours by myself, so I just took off my jeans and put my riding pants back on until I got my jeans dry (no mean feat in 8 hours in an office! Don't remember how I did it.)

Anyway, I did get off the through-town interstate when there was more water in the air than air, and I had to go under a bridge to continue, and yet I did not stop. Granted, it wasn't the best neighborhood in town, but I would imagine the number of bike-jackings goes down during torrents.

My 20 year-old BMW Moon Boots kept my feet perfectly dry!
Rob V
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Yes, visibility was the big issue. It is somewhat unnerving having so much trouble seeing. I had waterproof jacket also. I have been in rain for a lot longer without the right gear, but this time it was pouring so hard that it was tough. And naturally as soon as things start to get wet the fog comes on strong on the helmet visor ;) Next time Ill wait.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Pin lock visors work.
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

Zombie Master wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:39 pm Pin lock visors work.
Yes. Though my glasses still try to fog up under them sometimes, not very often.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I'd been wondering where my pinloc was for months. I found it the other day, on my helmet....... :oops:
Lord of the Bings
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

My current helmet will accept a pinlock, but I think it's a step backwards. My previous helmet's faceshield came with a really good anti-fog coating that worked well for about three years- and by then it had collected enough scratches to justify a new shield anyway. Now if I want fog-resistance I have to spend extra money on an awkward aftermarket accessory. The old helmet was a Scorpion. I *LOVED* that helmet, but the current Scorpions don't fit my head as comfortably as the old ones did.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

The Veg wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:12 pm I *LOVED* that helmet, but the current Scorpions don't fit my head as comfortably as the old ones did.
I'm getting near the end with my Kaos full carbon helmet. It weighs 1150 grams and it was like it was made for my head. Most comfortable helmet ever.The new version called Riot is 1350 grams and I have to go a size up to XXL for a fit. Will watch for new lightest helmets. :ugeek: