Globulins?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Zombie Master

Globulins?

Post by Zombie Master »

So while having lunch with a few riders the other day, the discussion turned to lubrication. One fellow (John) suggested for his older British machines, that non synthetic oil is preferred, as the less refined product contains globulins. This constituent of oil are "globs" of larger molecules with other included unrefined materials, that would provide protection for engines that have more scraping action. My R60/2 was run for seven years with nothing but 15W 50 full synthetic with no problems whatsoever. My thinking is that a more refined oil would not load up slingers as soon. John stated that the BMW's of that era were manufactured with much closer tolerances, so would not benefit from globulins. I can find nothing about globulins in motor oil on the internet. Is John trying to insult my intelligence? :ugeek:
Any and all disclaimers may apply
jagarra

Re: Globulins?

Post by jagarra »

He may be using the wrong term. More info:

Difference between Synthetic Oil and Conventional Oil
Conventional lubrication oil is simply refined crude oil of a certain viscosity range that has been blended with an additice pack to meet the U.S. API specifications or, alternatively, the European ACEA specifications. Conventional oil contains a mixture of hydrocarbon compounds that all have different properties. These include paraffin chains and cycloparaffins that form the basis of the lubricating oil as well as volatile aromatics that are chemically reactive and form black sludge. Other impurities include waxes and a number of compounds containing nitrogen and sulfur. It is the presence of the aromatics, waxes, and other impurities that limit the service life of mineral oil and contribute toward engine wear.

Synthetic oils, whether manufactured synthetically or derived from highly refined API Group III base oils, contain a smaller variety of compounds with little variation in their properties. The level of impurities present in these oils is lower than that found in mineral oils.

Due to the negligible quantities of impurities, synthetic oils exhibit far more stable properties than mineral oils, and to a large extent, their service life is only limited by the life of the additive packs. Synthetic oil offers better engine protection than mineral oils in terms of heat, cold, wear, and sludge buildup.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

Globulin is a type of blood-protein. John's British bike probably has a fair amount in its oil after performing certain maintenance and repair tasks.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

The Veg wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:44 pm Globulin is a type of blood-protein. John's British bike probably has a fair amount in its oil after performing certain maintenance and repair tasks.
LOL! :lol:
Any and all disclaimers may apply