EVA - Ethylene vinyl acetate Armour Pads

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
boxertwinjeff

EVA - Ethylene vinyl acetate Armour Pads

Post by boxertwinjeff »

How good is this soft armour in protection and in preventing debarking....has anyone had the misfortune in
having actually tested this foam rubber armour by hitting the Tarmac & sliding with it in your Jacket or Kevlar jeans. Looking at
a pair of Kevlar lined jeans with EVA in the knees, butt and hips.
1973 R1000/5 LWB
1976 R90S Silver Smoke
Zombie Master

Re: EVA - Ethylene vinyl acetate Armour Pads

Post by Zombie Master »

I wear BMW City pants a lot. They have padding made from D30. I've know a few guys that have hit the ground with this stuff with good results. I've replaced padding in my other gear with this type of armor. But my thinking is that I should go to armor that is part of an undergarment so that it is held against the part you want to protect more securely. I see the Bohn undergarments advertized in bike mags, and they look good but their gear is only level one protection. But the concept of having a shell for weather and abrasion protection and an under suit with padding makes sense to me.

It's always good to know what type of accident your going to have before you buy your gear. :geek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5_n6bOuXkY

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog ... %2Fcatalog
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

That's what's in my First Gear leather jacket. When I had the 70 mph getoff on the Duc, none of my injuries were in places protected by the pads. The jacket showed a lot of road rash over my left elbow/forearm, but my arm felt fine. Left shoulder took a big hit, and it was sore for a few days, but nothing serious. Broke some ribs, but they were not protected by the armor. I'd say it did it's job better than I expected from the feel of the stuff. My textile jacket has pads with plastic shields. I would say the shields would do a much better job of spreading the impact if I was running into a smaller surface, like if hitting a sign post, but for most situations the soft armor seems to really live up to its claims.
MS - out
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

When I took out the deer a year ago, I was wearing my mesh jacket with the soft armour. Other than a few bruises and a sprained ankle, I had no real injuries. The mesh jacket was shredded, but the armour cushioned the impact and wore away instead of my flesh. We could discuss the gouges in the modular helmet, but that a topic for a different thread.

First thing I did when I was healed enough to ride again is order another mesh jacket with Level III armour. I'm convinced it saved me from serious injury.
Gryphon

Resistance is futile; if less than 1 ohm.