Belt drive conversion for chain drive motorcycles

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Rob

Belt drive conversion for chain drive motorcycles

Post by Rob »

Yes ZM, I know all about chain oilers... :roll:

This discussion is for the purpose of determining if it is a viable alternative.

I have heard that a belt-driven bike works best when the output shaft is concentric with the swingarm pivot. True?

I also thought I remembered a belt not being as efficient as a chain, but this is the reply I got from the salesman! ( :lol: )
"belt drives transfer more power to the rear wheel because they're much less lossy than a chain with all those mechanical contact points and friction."

Thoughts?
Rob V
Zombie Master

Re: Belt drive conversion for chain drive motorcycles

Post by Zombie Master »

Cycle world:Kevin Cameron
Question: I have my first shaft-driven motorcycle, a Yamaha FJR. I can certainly say that I don’t miss the chain, what with adjusting, cleaning, lubing, replacing, and cleaning filth off of the back of the bike. However, a belt drive seems to be even simpler still, less expensive, with more efficient power transfer, and less maintenance. Why haven’t more manufacturers embraced belt drive? What are the drawbacks?

Greg Seeger
Santa Rosa, CA

Answer: As you note, toothbelts have their attractions. But unlike a chain, they can rise up out of engagement and slip if given enough slack (note that cam belts on engines have fixed slack adjusters that remove all slack). The obvious solution for achieving zero slack in a motorcycle final toothbelt drive—making the front sprocket concentric with the swingarm pivot axis—interferes with using driveline tension to oppose the rear-end squat that otherwise occurs during hard acceleration. For these reasons, toothbelts tend to be used either on machines with very limited rear wheel suspension travel or with tensioner systems of some complexity. Chains continue to be generally used because they are not subject to these requirements and because they provide great strength in a compact form.

I would add that rocks can get easily caught and damage a belt. I've head this from many HD riders. So gravel roads are a no go for exposed belt drive. I like to ride where ever I want.
Any and all disclaimers may apply