Could it be good?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Sibbo

Re: Could it be good?

Post by Sibbo »

Hard to know about road conditions . We have two separate riding "worlds", the freeways where Harley and big Beems rule, long straight roads where you sit at 120 km probably going to the next city. I ride them if I'm going to the next city, otherwise I avoid them like the plague.

Enfields or basically any bike with less than 30 hp avoid them too. If there is a long way around that avoids a freeway i'll take it. Does freeway = interstate?

Then there are the back roads, I live in the middle of this world. Flocks of Harleys surge and sway their way around these roads too, slowly and cautiously and usually in groups of 20 or so.They make a lot of noise and the riders are extremely fashionable.
Sundays see hundreds of bikes down this way, I'd say 30% Harleys, all newish . The remainder are all breeds , if one predominates it will be a toss up between Hondas and Ducatis.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Sibbo wrote: Does freeway = interstate?
Pretty much. We use the term "freeway" more often to refer to such roads in and around cities. "The Interstate" refers to similar roads that are part of a nationwide system that runs across the whole country and has more funding support from the national government than the local roads do. So, down in the city, I get on the "freeway" to get over to the other side of town, and I get on the "Interstate" to go somewhere a long ways away, but they look exactly the same - especially when that Interstate is running through the middle of the city and is then just one of the freeways there. ;)

So, Interstates really ARE freeways, but ones where you are more likely to being cruising along at 70+ mph for hours rather than just 15 minutes or so.
MS - out
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

Also, there are quite a few Toll Roads on the East coast. Generally in better shape than the county or state roads...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Sibbo, this Hoosier calls pretty much any road with limited access "interstate", although more and more roads are being built that are not part of the "Interstate System" that meet this criteria.

But technically, MS is right (a given).
Rob V
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Rob wrote:Sibbo, this Hoosier calls pretty much any road with limited access "interstate", although more and more roads are being built that are not part of the "Interstate System" that meet this criteria.

Yeah, Rob, I described the actual technical difference, but, like you, I also often use the term for any highway that's "like" an Interstate whether it's technically one or not.
MS - out
Rob

Post by Rob »

Major Softie wrote:
Rob wrote:Sibbo, this Hoosier calls pretty much any road with limited access "interstate", although more and more roads are being built that are not part of the "Interstate System" that meet this criteria.

Yeah, Rob, I described the actual technical difference, but, like you, I also often use the term for any highway that's "like" an Interstate whether it's technically one or not.
And I am careful about what words I bandy about when speaking to an international audience.
Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Rob wrote:
Major Softie wrote:

And I am careful about what words I bandy about when speaking to an international audience.
I don't think bandying is ever a good idea. :|
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Rob wrote: And I am careful about what words I bandy about when speaking to an international audience.
Actually, I had no idea they used "freeway." ;)
MS - out
Rob

Post by Rob »

Major Softie wrote:
Rob wrote: And I am careful about what words I bandy about when speaking to an international audience.
I haven't really used it since I was a kid in the Sixties.

I also remember when "The Cloverleaf" was built near our house. I thought it was something unique that only we would have! lol!
Rob V
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Rob wrote:
Major Softie wrote:
I haven't really used it since I was a kid in the Sixties.

I also remember when "The Cloverleaf" was built near our house. I thought it was something unique that only we would have! lol!
Me too. I thought it was the Main Roads Department's version of sculpture. They built the thing in a paddock opposite our house with no explanation then abandoned it for 10 years before building the rest of the road.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead