New RS!

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Sibbo

Re: New RS!

Post by Sibbo »

Major Softie wrote:
Sibbo wrote: Well you know what they say about opinions. I like the size and ergonomics of the RNineT because it um, reminds me of an R 90, a motorcycle not a road racer...... and I can touch the ground on it and don't need to take long a step ladder. Retro? If well done I like retro for the aforementioned reason, it looks like a motorcycle. I'm ashamed to say I like the look of the retro Guzzis, the W series Kawakas and even wish bloody Enfields had twice the power so I could take them seriously.

So I don't dismiss something cos it looks like something the company built years ago, especially when the something was as good as an R90.As for shameless marketing, mate this is BMW ! Home of the round the world the hard way with backup SUVs. ;)
The RS has a lower seat (using their low seat).

I don't think it looks like "something the company built years ago." I think the Guzzis, Ducs, Triumphs, and the W Kawi all do that, but I don't think this does. It looks more like something some of those other companies built years ago. It does look like a motorcycle though, but I think I'd rather have an R1200R (which also has a lower seat) - although, I haven't seen it in the flesh, and that may change my mind.

An RNineT looks more like "something the company built years ago"than anything else BMW produces.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
melville

Post by melville »

enigmaT120 wrote:An otherwise adorable girl called my Triumph "retro" a few years ago. Ugh. This, my dear, is a world class sport bike that just happens to be old.
I had a girl come out of a store last week (she worked there) and she was just gushing over my 'amazing R75 Cafe Racer.' She wants one (a cafe racer) so bad. Living out on Hwy 36 as she does, I can't think of any better sort of bike.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

The Grateful Dead
dougie

Post by dougie »

Just my 2 cents -
520 lbs.
Fuck off.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

dougie wrote:Just my 2 cents -
520 lbs.
Fuck off.
For 200 more cc's, 80% more horsepower, amazing brakes, ABS, and far superior handling, 14 more lbs. gets a "fuck off?"

You're a hard man.
MS - out
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Major Softie wrote:
520 lbs.
Fuck off.
For 200 more cc's, 80% more horsepower, amazing brakes, ABS, and far superior handling, 14 more lbs. gets a "fuck off?"

You're a hard man.
Compared to what ? The RnineT and the RS have the same engine and power output but they're quite different animals.

Ah an '89 RS ?
The Grateful Dead
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

yes
MS - out
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Sibbo wrote:
Major Softie wrote:
Sibbo wrote: Well you know what they say about opinions. I like the size and ergonomics of the RNineT because it um, reminds me of an R 90, a motorcycle not a road racer...... and I can touch the ground on it and don't need to take long a step ladder. Retro? If well done I like retro for the aforementioned reason, it looks like a motorcycle. I'm ashamed to say I like the look of the retro Guzzis, the W series Kawakas and even wish bloody Enfields had twice the power so I could take them seriously.

So I don't dismiss something cos it looks like something the company built years ago, especially when the something was as good as an R90.As for shameless marketing, mate this is BMW ! Home of the round the world the hard way with backup SUVs. ;)
The RS has a lower seat (using their low seat).

I don't think it looks like "something the company built years ago." I think the Guzzis, Ducs, Triumphs, and the W Kawi all do that, but I don't think this does. It looks more like something some of those other companies built years ago. It does look like a motorcycle though, but I think I'd rather have an R1200R (which also has a lower seat) - although, I haven't seen it in the flesh, and that may change my mind.

An RNineT looks more like "something the company built years ago"than anything else BMW produces.
An RNineT looks more like something that Motto Guzzi has been building for over a decade. A shameless copy of an original concept.... is that RNinety.

Woops here it is:
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/2 ... 600x0w.jpg
Any and all disclaimers may apply
dougie

Post by dougie »

Major Softie wrote:
520 lbs.
Fuck off.
You're a hard man.
Sorry. I'm spoiled now. 380 lbs.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

What are you riding that's only 380 pounds? That's getting down into the territory of my Triumph. I thought all the airheads were over 400. I'm sure my R65 is and it should be as light as any.

I love riding a lighter bike for handling, but wow the wind blows you all over.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker