Getting close!

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: Getting close!

Post by Airbear »

I wonder if the front wheel motor is there to regenerate as much power as possible from braking, given that the front wheel is doing most of the braking work. The extra unsprung weight would certainly be an issue though.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Airbear wrote:I wonder if the front wheel motor is there to regenerate as much power as possible from braking, given that the front wheel is doing most of the braking work. The extra unsprung weight would certainly be an issue though.
Every year technology can make things lighter. I wear a full face helmet that weighs in at 1200 grams. What a relief!
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Airbear wrote:I wonder if the front wheel motor is there to regenerate as much power as possible from braking, given that the front wheel is doing most of the braking work. The extra unsprung weight would certainly be an issue though.
That was my first guess too, but it just doesn't seem worth the complexity/weight penalty, not when you can generate a lot of that from braking the rear wheel. Still, it's the only really useful purpose I can see for it on a street bike.

I would think it would be possible to make an electric generating brake lighter than something that can do both, but perhaps it's close enough that there's no point making it just a generator.
MS - out
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

The front wheel drive Yamaha uses a light weight hydraulic system to power the front wheel. The front wheel would only apply power when the rear isn't hooking up, as I remember. I can't see why that couldn't be the case with an electric system.
Last edited by Zombie Master on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

Given that an electric motor is virtually the same design as an electric generator, I imagine it would be possible for the hubs to be dual purpose; both generating going downhill, both under power going uphill and a combination of both when the opportunity arises.