Thinking of branching out.

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: Thinking of branching out.

Post by Airbear »

jagarra wrote:Looks like you in OZ have a very restrictive system on registration, use and vehicle licensing. From what I have seen it looks expensive with much over sight from LEO.
Not sure if a new thread is in order to explain what system you OZ riders have to work with, (won't be the first time we strayed) but I would like to know more about it. Sounds like a real PIA.
Gerard, yes, bike registration is expensive in Oz. Around $600 a year in my state (Victoria) for full reg but that includes a big chunk for third party insurance. Every road user pays this and the money goes to the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). In the event of any road incident involving personal injury the TAC covers all medical and rehabilitation costs (regardless of fault) and will pay 80% of wages for the period that a person is unable to work. In the event of death a quite decent payout is paid to dependents and ongoing support is provided. I have had cause to claim on this scheme due to injuries from hitting a cow that required surgery and a few months off work, and found it quite generous.

Some states have introduced Club Permit schemes for historic vehicles (25 years or older). My bike is on club plates and can be ridden for 90 days wherever I like provided that I record each ride in a logbook before hitting the road. Cost for me is $35 a year for club membership and around $140 for the plate and TAC insurance. Some clever folks have four old bikes on club plates and can ride whenever they like. So far I only have one but there's another in the pipeline - another 1974 R90/6 of course. 180 days will suit me pretty well. The current 90 days is a bit restrictive because I feel that I should save up log book days for some longer trips.

New South Wales has recently adjusted its club plate scheme to allow 60 days of free riding in addition to official club events - as in Malcom's post above.

ps: Steve, well done on buying your new toy and getting that old shitbox JPS RS onto club plates. Seems they'll let anything through (irony emoticon here) ...

Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Todays the day. 8-) Leaving shortly to get the train to Ballarat. The local bank has been warned that a substantial withdrawal (to me) is imminent! I'm expecting SWAT protection! :D

Given a chance time wise, I might drop in on Pete.

The RS is up on the stand, the Staintunes are back on and it's had its undercarriage cleaned and a rear disc replaced in readiness for the rwc. That was going to be tomorrow, but those plans fell thru. Anyhow, it can stay there for the moment. It's rego is also due tomorrow and I'll pay it in full. They should do a pro rata refund when the red plates are sorted.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Airbear

Post by Airbear »

SteveD wrote:...
They should do a pro rata refund when the red plates are sorted.
Steve, an alternative - given the impoverishment that the new purchase will cause - is to apply for a Vicroads Unregistered Vehicle Permit to get to the roadworthy place when the time comes. Cost is a few bucks and it's easy to do on-line.

ps: There is palpable excitement in the air. Have fun, and try to avoid losing a bunch of points on the way home.
Charlie

Rob

Post by Rob »

Fast bikes are soooo boring when ridden slow.
Rob V
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

SteveD wrote: They should do a pro rata refund when the red plates are sorted.
Less the bureaucrats 9 day fortnight levy, full use of sick leave entitlements levy, pencil sharpening levy, fortnightly department name change levy, government job stress levy, dumb fuck levy, indifference levy, refund levy, paper cut levy, job creation levy, cancellation levy, levy levy, etc, etc,

Reckon you'll owe them.

And you'll have to wait eight weeks for the bill.
Lord of the Bings
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Home!

Faark it's a monster. GOBs' of oomph.

Interesting ride after having been on the RS so long. It's all about acclimatizing to a completely different beast.
At freeway speeds it's a choice b/w 5th & 6th. 4Krpm @ 110kph in 5th...I'll need to confirm that! I was distracted.
At suburban speeds, it's about picking a gear like 3rd, and leaving it there unless stopping. The clutch throw is different and that took some practice but there was improvement before I got home. I embarassed myself with bit of over revving and clunky changes which will improve further.
The bilateral indicator controls are ok, but the cancel button is an annoyance.
The ESA was fun. 3 settings..norm, sport, comfie! Comfie for two up & loaded on the hwy...and it was comfie...I didn't use sport much but it was stiffer. Norm was just that.
It's got heated grips. 30C today. The grips themselves are the stock narrow type. I like the thicker sort. Another difference.
I needed earplugs. Wind noise was enough to warrant them but there wasn't any buffeting around the helmet.
Seat comfort wasn't bad, but a tad different to the RS.
Arm stretch was wider, slight lean forward but not as much, hips about the same but knees slightly more flexed. The seat surface felt a little slippery. I might try a small sheepskin there in two weeks when I go on a weekender.

Bike was spotless. Stopped at Pete's for a coffee.

Did I mention the GOBs' of oomph?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I was going to Grants for lunch today but thought I'd best spend some time with M, the boss. Did a movie in aircon, late lunch etc!

It was 38-39 today too, and I didn't fancy a ride in that either. Instead, I went for a spin up to Mt. Dandenong after it had cooled a wee bit. Fifteen minutes from my place the tourist road snakes up a small hill that overlooks the whole of the Melbourne metropolitan area. The road is twisty and this time of night the locals are still finishing their dinner and the roads are quiet. This was where I rode to.
It's not too big a hill, but it has a well made road that twists nicely to the top.

This is a view from the carpark in that last picture. That's the Melbourne CBD in the distance..

Compared to the R100RS, this thing is effortless. There is no brake dive and power is just everywhere. It makes for bloody quick riding. The engine is quiet. First thing M said was that it sounds like a sewing machine. The R100RS on the other hand makes you work for your performance. The feedback in noise, feel, input at the handlebars...all those things we do and experience to ride an old bike ...really engages you. Frequent gear changes are needed to maintain road speed and the braking & downshifting into corners. It takes some work. That's why it's a keeper, it's a different set of skills. A different sort of fun, but you all know that already.

I have a ride to the mountains in a couple of weeks with a bunch of non airheads. I hope I have this new thing under control by then.
:lol:
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Airbear wrote:
SteveD wrote:...
They should do a pro rata refund when the red plates are sorted.
Steve, an alternative - given the impoverishment that the new purchase will cause - is to apply for a Vicroads Unregistered Vehicle Permit to get to the roadworthy place when the time comes. Cost is a few bucks and it's easy to do on-line.
Maximum 7 days for Single Trip Permits https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registr ... cle-permit
That might be possible. $52 for 7 days max, $45 for 2 days, $42.90 for one day. I have to have a day off where the rwc can be done. That would preferably be a Friday. The club says vehicle viewing is a Saturday morning b/w 10 &12. Fiddly.
On second thoughts, or is that back to first thought, I think I'll just fully rego it again and get the refund as I might want to use it in the meantime.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

R100RS roadworthy tomorrow then hopefully get some red plates! Lunch at Grants too!

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Airbear

Post by Airbear »

Lookin' shite and briny, Steve.

Brunhilde went through the club scrutineering - before the rules were changed to require a full paid roadworthy. The approved Scrute grabbed the required form, asked me "Does everything work?", went tick tick tick, signed and stamped and all was good. I guess this sort of thing is why the rules were changed.
Charlie