Oz-boxerworks - Autumn Zombie Rally anyone?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
SteveD

Re: Oz-boxerworks - Autumn Zombie Rally anyone?

Post by SteveD »

Beer snores galore by now! :D :lol: :o :shock: 8-)
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Oysters, beer, prawns, roast Tbone, shiraz, bream, world class motorcycle roads, the ocean, the estuary, the camp fire, the friendship.
I just love riding my loaded for luxury camping RS. What a machine to operate.
Over the mountain range to the coast, and then back over the mountain range home. Maybe 900k
Thanks Charlie. Thanks Mal and Bob and Steve from Narooma.

I was tempted to get a photo of the campsite strewn with evidence :mrgreen:
Lord of the Bings
Bob Bennett

Post by Bob Bennett »

ME 109 wrote:Oysters, beer, prawns, roast Tbone, shiraz, bream, world class motorcycle roads, the ocean, the estuary, the camp fire, the friendship.
I just love riding my loaded for luxury camping RS. What a machine to operate.
Over the mountain range to the coast, and then back over the mountain range home. Maybe 900k
Thanks Charlie. Thanks Mal and Bob and Steve from Narooma.

I was tempted to get a photo of the campsite strewn with evidence :mrgreen:
Yep a great night had in a beautiful part of the world with some of the best people, thanks to all.
I hope Charlie has his rotor issue fixed already. Mal had an issue with a small bit of metal and his
rear tyre before we got to the main road he removed the metal but the air was escaping steadily.
We set off for Bermagui moving at a steady 50kph but at 6 or 7 k short of town it was too flat,
We put the contents of a couple of co2 tyre inflators in and continued into Bermi, there at the servo
Mal bought a bicycle tyre repair kit while I bought the coffee.
First out with the wheel then out with the tube
After several attempts and using the glue from my tubeless kit we set off for Narooma, we went well until
Tilba when Mal started to slow down again, About 4k short of Narooma we came to a stop and the co2 bottles
wouldn't go in and my bicycle pump also failed so I rode home and partial unloaded and took back a 12V tyre pump
That got us home where we set his bike up for easy wheel removal
Mal stayed with us last night and we got a new tube fitted this morning, He set off just before lunch to continue
his journey.
Regards, Bob
R80 RS
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

How big was the hole in the tube?

What a pita that would've been. I'm glad Mal had your company Bob as it's always helpful to have someone around when doing a roadside repair.

Re: getting the wheel out, nifty setup you guys had there!

I like the removal of the rear guard method...it's easy enough to remove then, but those Krauser racks might not help.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Mal will remember the trip well, then. Twice.
I was just telling Grant the other day that the chances of getting a flat were between Buckleys and none. Lucky he didn't go, he might have got a flat.
Bloody lucky me and Charlie turned left and went the other way, eh. :mrgreen:

I took four oysters home in the esky without ice, they made it all the way over the mountains. Only to get eaten with a few drops of lemon juice.

Anyone else got bite marks on 'em? I came back with several red bite marks all over me from something, sandfly or a tick or something. Never felt it. It would have got drunk, whatever it was.

Thanks for the fun blokes.
Lord of the Bings
Bob Bennett

Post by Bob Bennett »

At least two holes in the tube Steve, I would say about 1 to 1.5 mm dia pin 50 mm long caused the problem, and Jeff I recon it was at or around the oyster sheds that he picked it up mate, you and Charlie were just lucky.
BTW my hazy memory is of fixing lots of world problems, religious and political before the night ended, geeze if the world
leaders came next time everything would be OK, (except for that Trump feller though).
No bite marks Jeff, but I stayed away from the roos.
Regards, Bob
R80 RS
Rob

Post by Rob »

I always carried a spare rear tube when I left on a trip.

Never needed it.
Rob V
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Mal and Bob, a flat tyre is such a pain. Very good that there were two of you to share the adventure.

Brunhilde made it all the way home (450kms) without having to swap batteries. The starter button stopped working about halfway so parking on hills was required at any stops. Bob, your assessment of power used by the ignition was much better than what I had read. Good to know that there is a day's worth of riding when the alternator fails, just by turning off the headlight.

Another great weekend was had. As an inland dweller it's so good to get some lungfuls of sea air and a belly full of fresh oysters and prawns.

I love this little wild beach ...

... and the wildlife ...

This goanna marched through the camp with an air of ownership ...

No argument from me.

Other visiting wildlife. It was good to meet Steve and his very pretty SlashTwo:

The ride home was spectacular. A little cold going up the mountain but the sky cleared once over the top and it was perfectly warm and sunny on the western side. A beer at the Tintaldra pub capped it off nicely. Thanks for the good company and the fine bullshit, guys. I'll get a replacement rotor into Brunhilde and be ready for more.

ps: No Zombies were sighted.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday fellas,

Lovely read once again and yes slightly jealous at that.

Now that f#%king goanna would put the shits up me hanging around my swag, sly looking prick!!

Jeff I had brought two new tubes and a can of the that tubey repair stuff which is suitable for buggered tubes to limp to the next tyre shop, well hopefully anyways and that's what it says on the can, true!!
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I usually carry a can of that stuff too. It's saved me once, many years ago.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.