Norton Commando vs BMW R90S

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Zombie Master

Re: Norton Commando vs BMW R90S

Post by Zombie Master »

Major Softie wrote:Well, you are a hopeless waste of time, but I'll just give you the most painfully obvious one, and then I'm done.

You said "Nortons blow up when pushed hard."

You now have modified it, while claiming you're not, to "they can."

You did not argue with the statement that "BMW's can blow up when pushed hard."

"Nortons blow up when pushed hard" either meant something or it didn't. If it didn't mean they always do, then it means (as you now claim) that they just "can." So can BMW's. So can any bike. So now you're claiming that your sentence meant nothing.

And, that was pretty much what I was saying in the first place.

Well since you need to insult me, you obviously loose this one.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

My timing chain link clip fell off at about 2,000 rpm and shit went all over the place. Can I count that as pushing it? It was well above idle sort of thing. :mrgreen:
BMW's blow up when not pushed hard, ime.

They go just great @ 8,000 tho.
Lord of the Bings
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Zombie Master wrote:
Major Softie wrote:Well, you are a hopeless waste of time, but I'll just give you the most painfully obvious one, and then I'm done.

You said "Nortons blow up when pushed hard."

You now have modified it, while claiming you're not, to "they can."

You did not argue with the statement that "BMW's can blow up when pushed hard."

"Nortons blow up when pushed hard" either meant something or it didn't. If it didn't mean they always do, then it means (as you now claim) that they just "can." So can BMW's. So can any bike. So now you're claiming that your sentence meant nothing.

And, that was pretty much what I was saying in the first place.

Well since you need to insult me, you obviously loose this one.
If you think that's an insult, then you probably shouldn't have chosen to immediately prove me right. :roll:
MS - out
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

You're a hopeless pendant:( And wrong.
melville

Post by melville »

One forgets that Saint Peter of Egan got his start as a professional writer due to a Commando blowing up in Montana, barely halfway from Wisconsin to his destination of the Pacific coast.

In the story he wrote, he relates a MC shop saying before he took the trip, "Yes, you should adjust the valves, check the chain tension, and then trade it in on a BMW."
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

melville wrote:One forgets that Saint Peter of Egan got his start as a professional writer due to a Commando blowing up in Montana, barely halfway from Wisconsin to his destination of the Pacific coast.

In the story he wrote, he relates a MC shop saying before he took the trip, "Yes, you should adjust the valves, check the chain tension, and then trade it in on a BMW."
They blow up: drop valve, blow gasket etc....it's what they do. Seen it happen so many times on the road.

The 850 engines (don't dare say motors around here :( ) were better, but then the transmission would fail more often.
Last edited by Zombie Master on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Softies a necklace eh? Maybe we should start calling him "Major Wampum".
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Steve in Golden wrote:Softies a necklace eh? Maybe we should start calling him "Major Wampum".
Now he's going to get pissed! A pendant would hang from a necklace. It's not a friggin' necklace! :shock:
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Steve in Golden wrote:Softies a necklace eh? Maybe we should start calling him "Major Wampum".
ZM still seems to have missed your point. I'd point out that his attempted insult is suffering from a spelling fail, and that if he were right that would mean I was right where he says I'm wrong, but such concern for getting details correct might make him think me a pedant. I'll just rest happy with my assessment of the waste of time and stop wasting mine.

:mrgreen:
MS - out
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Not sure about the blowing up problem, but I can attest to the quality issues. The lobe that opened the points wore the center out of the mechanical advance so fast that I could rock it side to side and open both points, One rod cap developed a crack. the steel insert on the alternator rotor separated from the aluminum body. The primary cover leaked through a porous casting flaw. Finally sold it when it started blowing all the fuses mysteriously. That was over the 5 years I owned it, under 10K miles. I am sure I forget some others. Bought a Z1 and put more miles on it in one year that I did on the Norton in five.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R