Tire mfg. date

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
jagarra

Re: Tire mfg. date

Post by jagarra »

I stopped buying Metzeler Lasertecs because when I hit rain grooves on the road they caused the bike to get really squirrely. Sort of made the front end float from side to side.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Yeah, the rain groove issue with tires is very regional. I'm almost never on them, so I don't care. Australia may not have them. If you live in Sacramento, LA, or Reno, then it's a really important factor in tire choice.
MS - out
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

ME 109 wrote:The US must buy 2nd's when it comes to lasertecs, judging by the complaints.
I have found them to be an absolute kick ass tyre for a twin shock. Mind you I usually replace them about every twelve months @ 12,000 k.
I don't use the lasertec rear tho, just the front. I've never had the front slip out on me.
Do tell....what do you run on the rear?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Zombie Master wrote:
Do tell....what do you run on the rear?
Now, michelin pilot activ rear. 4-5 years ago and for many years before that, michelin mac50.
Both damn good tyres, the best thing being their ability to maintain a very nice round profile across the tyre which keeps the uneven surface handle bar wobbles at bay.
I've tried a few others over the years when my favorites were not available when I needed them. They were no where near as good.
The pa front is also on par with the lasertec imo and will give me 1,000 more k's. The lasertec has a better tread patter for wet tarmac, or wet off road. None of them like slippery mud. :mrgreen:
Lord of the Bings