Tire mfg. date

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
CVA-42

Tire mfg. date

Post by CVA-42 »

A new set of Metzler Tourances for my 1200GS arrived yesterday. They look like they were manufactured last week but the DOT date codes say 2614 on the front and 1514 on the rear. Should I be concerned or should I just mount them and forget about it?
Bamboo812

Re: Tire mfg. date

Post by Bamboo812 »

I'd run them. Most of my bikes have tires that are more than two years old...
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Two years is OK if stored correctly.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
CVA-42

Post by CVA-42 »

Bamboo812 wrote:I'd run them. Most of my bikes have tires that are more than two years old...
Mine too but most of them didn't start out that way. Sort of annoying but no harm, no foul I guess. They do look as if they've been stored correctly. These Metzelers, BTW, were made in China. Shouldn't surprise me but it kinda did.
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

All the tires (Bridgestone Spitfires) I have bought from Amazon.com have been only a couple months old. Who was the supplier of the Metzelers?
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

I don't think there is any such thing as stored correctly. Its not sunlight. A rubber band that is stretched daily will outlast one that sits in a jar. I don't know why I think this, but I do.

I replaced three year old RV tires because they had never rolled and I read that sitting in one spot with load on them makes them more inclined to blow out.

I have read enough about tire ageing to replace my RV and motorcycle tires at 4 years, regardless of condition. My cars and my boat trailer I will push to six years. For the most part it hasn't been a problem as I seem to wear out RV tires in three years and motorcycle tires 1 or 2. There is going to be some wasted rubber on my boat in a couple years at the rate I am going.

I bought a Bridgestone for my R90 a couple years ago and paid to have it mounted. When I got home, I noticed it was seven years old. I paid to have it unmounted and sent it back for a refund. When the guy unmounted it, the bead ripped, which he said was not supposed to happen and was a sign of dry rot even though there were no other signs.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

bbelk wrote:I don't think there is any such thing as stored correctly.
There is.

Sunlight is an issue, but not nearly as bad as ozone. In the old days, old tires sitting inside a garage with a big compressor were in a TERRIBLE place to store.

Tires stored without sunshine, ozone, and in reasonable temps can last a long time. Unfortunately, I haven't the slightest idea how one would be able to tell.
MS - out
CVA-42

Post by CVA-42 »

Major Softie wrote:
bbelk wrote:I don't think there is any such thing as stored correctly.
There is.

Sunlight is an issue, but not nearly as bad as ozone. In the old days, old tires sitting inside a garage with a big compressor were in a TERRIBLE place to store.

Tires stored without sunshine, ozone, and in reasonable temps can last a long time. Unfortunately, I haven't the slightest idea how one would be able to tell.
Yes, sunlight and ozone - - those have been my understanding as well. I called Metzler Customer Service and discussed the situation with them. They cited proper storage as no sunlight or ozone and said the tires should be fine if stored properly. Warranty begins on the day of sale to the consumer. Also called the vendor, Jake Wilson, and told them my concern. They assured me their tires are stored in a sunlight and ozone free environment. Beyond that, I suppose my choices are to return them on my dime or go ahead and run them.
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

I stopped buying Metzeler Lasertecs mostly because the sidewalls on a couple of consecutive sets would be visibly weather-checked within 2 or 3 years. Were they a hazard? Maybe not. I don't recall their date stamps, but I don't think they were more than a year or so before the mounting dates. Stored properly prior to sale? Dunno. The bike has always been fully covered outside (mid-Michigan and NW Wisconsin) or garaged (no compressor or other non-atmospheric ozone source) when not in use. I've had no similar problems with the Michelins that I've used since.

For the money, I'd ride 'em 'til they wear out or start checking, but the latter may happen fairly quickly.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

The US must buy 2nd's when it comes to lasertecs, judging by the complaints.
I have found them to be an absolute kick ass tyre for a twin shock. Mind you I usually replace them about every twelve months @ 12,000 k.
I don't use the lasertec rear tho, just the front. I've never had the front slip out on me.
Lord of the Bings