Helmets

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Zombie Master

Helmets

Post by Zombie Master »

So my helmet is nearing the end of it's tour.

I've had some neck problems, so light weight is important. So important, that I have given up wearing modular (flip up) models as they are always heavy. I really miss the flip up feature, but a truly light helmet feels so much much better riding. I ordered a Shuberth C3, and it was a tank in XL! 1850 grams. Nice lid but huge and heavy. Until they can come up with a 1300 gram flip up, I'll be going with a full face.

I recently tried a Shoei Quest, which is what they call their touring helmet. It was very comfy, well made, and fit perfectly, but I weighed it in XL near 1700 grams:(

The helmet I am have been using for the last four years is a Kaos (now called Riot) and I've weighed it in XL, @ 1150 grams. It's not a fancy helmet but feels so good riding, I may have to buy another. It has the European rating ECE, which seems to have a good reputation from all that I've read.

From Webbikeworld:
"If you’re not comfortable with a helmet that only meets the US Government DOT standard, what do you look for? Historically, American riders have looked for a Snell label but the world is getting smaller and we now have other viable alternatives. The ECE 22.05 standard is used in over 50 European countries, including Germany, a country known for taking a hard line on personal protection.

Helmets certified to the ECE 22.05 standard are approved for competition events by AMA, CCS, FIM, Formula-USA and WERA and are chosen by nearly every professional motorcycle racers competing in world championship road racing, motocross and off road events, including the ultimate sport of Moto GP. Helmets that are certified to both DOT and ECE 22.05 offer the highest level of realistic protection with the added benefit of light weight for day-long comfort and rider performance."

I was hoping to try a Lazer Carbon Monaco which is a flip up, and light, but no longer distributed in North America. They weren't distributed in New Zealand either. :(

Nexx is a new player that seems to be moving the bar up. A Portuguese company that is producing some very interesting lids. I'm thinking of this one, in Carbon fiber (XT1 Carbon Zero) It has a sun visor and some high end features and is light:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... t1-review/

Any thoughts?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Major Softie

Re: Helmets

Post by Major Softie »

I agree with your assessment that the ECE rating is more than adequate. DOT doesn't mean squat as far as I'm concerned. Snell is a higher standard in the ability to take repeated impacts and sharp impacts, but ECE has a higher standard for absorption. It appears from most of the articles I've seen that in the real world, Snell protects your skull better, but ECE protects your brain better, and that's almost always what matters most.
MS - out
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

The VOZZ R.S 1.0 in medium shell size weighs 1680 grams for ECE and 1780 grams for DOT and AS/NZ certification.
Not sure they've convinced me it's such a great idea just yet.

http://www.vozzhelmets.com/the-helmet.html

Grant just got himself a light weight carbon helmet...
Last edited by SteveD on Tue May 10, 2016 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
grant81rs

Post by grant81rs »

Gidday,

AGV K5 plain black, used it for only 30 minutes , is very quiet and bloody lightweight compared to my old Systems 5 BMW flipface

Time will tell I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV1QsEUpB8Y
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
SteveD

Helmet buying guide.

Post by SteveD »

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Zombie Master

Re: Helmet buying guide.

Post by Zombie Master »

Seems to be a good guide, though I have to disagree with: "you get what you pay for." I find that unreliable these days.
Major Softie

Re: Helmet buying guide.

Post by Major Softie »

Zombie Master wrote:
Seems to be a good guide, though I have to disagree with: "you get what you pay for." I find that unreliable these days.
With helmets, "you get what you pay for" still seems to apply as far as finish quality, how the item will hold up over the years, and the optical quality and hardness of the face shield. As far as protection, we've learned that is a much more complicated issue than just Snell being much better than DOT like we all used to accept years ago. Also, if you're harder to fit, the more expensive brands fit a wider assortment of head shapes.

Sadly, I still haven't found anything that fits my head nearly as well as Arai. I'd be really happy to find something that fit as well and didn't cost the proverbial arm-and-a-leg in the pursuit to save the head.
MS - out
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Face shields ..... now there's something to whinge about ! The price for a replacement shield ! A relatively small piece of plastic for $75 !!
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Zombie Master

Interesting new protection

Post by Zombie Master »