Tempting

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Sibbo

Re: Tempting

Post by Sibbo »

ZM, have a look at this page , he rode a modified Zero across America https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Hershner

an extract... In 2014, Craig Vetter and students from Virginia Tech helped Hershner rebuild the tail section out of aluminum to hold 21 kWh of batteries, and up to 24 kWh of chargers that would run off 4 J1772 level 2 plugs, at 6 kW each.[34] Later, on August 29, 2014, Hershner became the first electric motorcycle to win the historic Craig Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge travelling 172 miles on a single charge, at speeds up to 80 mph, for 1.3 cents per mile cost in electricity.[35][36][37][38]
On September 15, 2014, the first day of National Drive Electric Week, Hershner became the first electric motorcycle rider to earn an Iron Butt Award (Saddlesore 1000) from the Iron Butt Association. He rode over 1047 miles from Northern California to the Mexico border and back, in 22 hours and 57 minutes using only ChargePoint charging stations.[39][40][41][42][
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Got to be able to ride it like a regular motorcycle. Regular full throttle operation, comfortable seating position, and range. I don't want to be hunched into a streamlined shell.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

The riding position on Hershner's Zero is normal, just streamlined .http://gas2.org/2013/06/06/terry-hershn ... otorcycle/
The Grateful Dead
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Sibbo wrote:The riding position on Hershner's Zero is normal, just streamlined .http://gas2.org/2013/06/06/terry-hershn ... otorcycle/
I understand that streamlining can effect gains in efficiency, but these machines look ungainly. For myself I like the efficiency of the electric bike, that eliminates having to buy (inhale) any petro fuel, and gives tremendous instant torque. Because it will be digitally controlled, throttle response should be fully adjustable for those less deft.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

I'd say the aero fairing could double the range of an electric bike by itself.
The Grateful Dead
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Sibbo wrote:I'd say the aero fairing could double the range of an electric bike by itself.
I doubt that, but I ride for the enjoyment, it is wasteful, but that's why I ride.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

As do I.......... but most of the energy our machines use goes into pushing air out of the way so the easier it is for a bike to pass the less energy it will use. Enter a few numbers into this calculator , entering different drag figures and then look at the results below.http://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aero-ro ... stance.php
The Grateful Dead
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Sibbo wrote:As do I.......... but most of the energy our machines use goes into pushing air out of the way so the easier it is for a bike to pass the less energy it will use. Enter a few numbers into this calculator , entering different drag figures and then look at the results below.http://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aero-ro ... stance.php
That's very good. I'll try messing around with it.
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

Sibbo wrote:Most of the energy our machines use goes into pushing air out of the way
Very true! When I was a kid and getting interested in model airplanes, my Dad gave me an engineering text to read called "Shape and Flow; the fluid dynamics of drag" by Ascher S. Shapiro. One of the graphics showed the comparison of drag coefficients on a streamlined airfoil shape and a round object 1/16th the thickness of that airfoil. It was the same! Now imagine all the drag being created by our handlebars, mirror stalks, crash bars, wheels, spokes and HELMETS etc. It adds up quick!