Questions of riding western Canada

Need to discuss the roads, highways, streets & the laws/unwritten rules that accompany use of the public system? Wanna chat safety? Got a beef about speeding or traffic enforcement? Want to rant about lane hogs, road ragers, drunks, cell users or overall bad drivers? Take your frank discussions about riding motorcycles & driving cars on public roads here.
Ridercam

Questions of riding western Canada

Post by Ridercam »

(moved to open road from othe posting)
I am considering adding a side trip from Seattle to a friend in Edmonton on my airhead late June. I think it might look more like a Vancouver to Edmonton in a two day shot (1000 km) with a stop in Blue River for afternoon of trout fishing.
after a good dinner with my friend, I'll be up and early heading south to Montana, Yellowstone and a relaxing two lane somewhat direct ride home to the Bay Area.

other than a passport, a small wad of cash, credit cards, airhead styled light camping gear and a pack rod, what else would I need? In other words, what are the Dudley Doright traffic enforcement laws like? do the assassin moose and dear like to bring down two wheeled Yankee game? what are the camp ground expectations en route? any other heads up that might be appropriate would be great. Thanks!
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
RDG

Re: Questions of riding western Canada

Post by RDG »

Riding western Canada is awesome! Their mountains are bigger than our mountains! The glaciers are different colors! I like Canada, eh? The folks are so friendly, the accommodations first rate, even in the campgrounds. It's a very clean place.

You'll first notice the Canadian drivers are, uh.....crazy? Well, maybe not crazy, but certainly fast and rather bold. They drive with reckless abandon. Tho speeding is rampant, you as a foreigner do not want to suffer traffic court. They know you aren 't about to stick around, but rather pay the fine...so beware. If the posted speed is 60kph, or roughly 35mph, don't go more than 45. Don't even think about speeding thru the cities, towns and villages...

They will take your radar detector away from you.

Remember, these are nice folks, even the laws, so BE NICE. Here's what I say when I'm pulled over. "It sure is a nice day, officer, gosh darn but I love your country! Speeding? Ah, I didn't realize I was, officer...my speedo of course, shows MPH, but I thought the conversion was KPH minus 15......" Oh really? I was never good in math....I'll try to pay attention next time...sorry, it won't happen again..."

Campgrounds and such are just like the US, but a bit more costly. Canada is much like the US, only not paranoid, angry, or delusional.

By the way, you don't need a US Passport, for Canada and Mexico. For @ $30 there is an Enhanced Passport...check it out at US Passport website!
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

thanks much. I hope to do this during the longer days of summer while my boy does two weeks at camp. though I have ridden distances in the past 25 years, this is a new departure from my geographical i.e. 1000 mile radius from home. Canada looks amazing and look forward to the inspiring landscape.

I ride rather conservely if I don't know the area. My old beautiful used airhead has always opened doors, taken me on adventures and generally looks after me. my bike and I would be happy to putt, run and camp as we both explore the great green north. I look forward to taking some time talking to locals, get some fishing in and spending a couple of days in the saddle. perhaps when we are together and quiet, she will tell me her name after 20 years.
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
boxertwinjeff

Post by boxertwinjeff »

Make sure you Post some photos here of your journey through that beautiful region.
Your route is pretty much what I'm planning to do one of these days.
North West U.S. into Canada looks Awesome from the Docs I've watched.
Shame you have'nt more time.
1973 R1000/5 LWB
1976 R90S Silver Smoke
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

You don't actually need a passport to get into Canada, but you will need one to get back into the US, so we make sure that you have one before you get here.

Leave your gun(s) at home.

If you are going to do a little fishing, make sure you have the right license. Most of the local gas stations or corner stores in the resort areas have everything you need.

Posted speeds are in KMs so 50 and 60 in town is 30 and 35mph. On the hiways 80 90 100 110 are 50 55 62 and 70mph. 10 to 15% over the psoted speed will not get you a ticket, but pay attention to the speeds that everyone else is going and use that as a guide, just like at home.

Radar ditectors are legal in BC but not Alberta.

Mooses are Mooses.

The ride south from Edmonton till the middled of Montana is pretty flat and boreing.
Garnet

bbelk

Post by bbelk »

RDG wrote:I didn't realize I was, officer...my speedo of course, shows MPH, but I thought the conversion was KPH minus 15......"

15 MPH? I thought that was the standard Airhead to Reality conversion....
1975 R90/6
1979 R65