US speed limits rising

Need to discuss the roads, highways, streets & the laws/unwritten rules that accompany use of the public system? Wanna chat safety? Got a beef about speeding or traffic enforcement? Want to rant about lane hogs, road ragers, drunks, cell users or overall bad drivers? Take your frank discussions about riding motorcycles & driving cars on public roads here.
lrz

US speed limits rising

Post by lrz »

read an interesting article earlier (Yahoo?) re states increasing max speed limits. Of particular note was the implementation of a Federally mandated 55mph during the 70's gas crisis...

Also mentioned were "roadtards" ,and the inherent danger thereof, in the method used for arriving at the new limits- the average prevailing speed on a given roadway vs current posted. Though speed still kills, apparently our newer autos are safer so speed kills less often, a statistic which also factored in.

Some faulty logic being used, seems to me,but a favorable outcome on the horizon nontheless.
ME 109

Re: US speed limits rising

Post by ME 109 »

Some good points there lrz, I'd hope for 150mph.
Hey Garnet, ther're some good points here!
Lord of the Bings
vanzen

Post by vanzen »

lrz wrote:... speed still kills ...
Don't think so.
Incompetent or negligent drivers can kill at any speed.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

I'd rather hit a post at 30 than 90 .....just after the bitumen patching gang had sprinkled fine gravel on the corners . Thoughtful blokes those.
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Aren't they fuckers!
I went round a corner at an intersection yesterday on the bike.....WHOA!! road repair....fine gravel everywhere... no signs!
Lord of the Bings
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Yep ,seriously inconsiderate bastards ! My first serious bingle , coming home from Year 12 maths exam a very long time ago .Our mates had covered the road in fine gravel and I wrapped myself around the side of a gravel truck .Fun and plaster casts .

Another one on a corner last week ,just a cunningly disguised strip on the inside ,nearly off ,wooops . :evil: Bastards .
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Good luck to these blokes. It won't happen, at least noy here in Victoria.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/tv-rev ... 6124884092
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

I sure hope they don't raise the limits in the cities. 50 and 55 mph is just fine with me these days (in my car), as I am more into fuel economy than I am compressing time and space.

Just think of me as a Duane-clone. :)
Matt

Post by Matt »

I was in TX & CO a month ago and enjoyed 70mph 2 lane rural roads very much . 55 in this age of the safest cars EVER the speeds outside heavily populated areas should all get jacked up 10mph, it would make my day. & the Interstate was made for semi's to travel 100mph during times of crisis. TX has some 85mph interstate limits way out west & that sounds perfect to me....
Matt Richards
BOXERWORKS
matt@boxerworks.com
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

55 mph would suck.
Over here in kangaroo land, several interstate roads are 67?mph (110 kph)
Most other highways are 60mph (100 kph)
Several other roads are way faster than that, although not sign posted as such. :mrgreen:
Lord of the Bings