The vanishing U-turn

Need to discuss the roads, highways, streets & the laws/unwritten rules that accompany use of the public system? Wanna chat safety? Got a beef about speeding or traffic enforcement? Want to rant about lane hogs, road ragers, drunks, cell users or overall bad drivers? Take your frank discussions about riding motorcycles & driving cars on public roads here.
Jeff in W.C.

The vanishing U-turn

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

I've been noticing that over the last five to ten years, municipalities are banning U-turns at intersections. At first it was a minor inconvenience to go to the next light. But recently, I find myself at times going a mile or so down the road just to turn around. Is this a local thing, or is this happening in other parts of the country?

I posted this about a day before the old phorum was closed down, so I posted it again.
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
enigmaT120

Re: The vanishing U-turn

Post by enigmaT120 »

I've never paid much attention to trying it in intersections. I just do it when ever I want and the coast is clear. My bikes and my CRX don't have any trouble. :-)
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
KenHawk

Re: The vanishing U-turn

Post by KenHawk »

I've been noticing the same thing here in Nor Cal.

Almost everywhere you go you're restricted from making U-turns and the practice appears to be most prevalent in near large shopping centers, where it looks to me as if they're trying to steer you into anyplace that might entice you to leave em some $$$.

One of the things that I don't understand that they're dong this near my home, where it's resulting on an increase in the amount of traffic thats turning into quiet residential neighborhoods in order to change direction.

Another thing that they've done here in little Santa Rosa is, after the economic down-turn hit ,they increased the cost to park down town from $1.00 to $2.50 per hour then and put in computerized meters that actually call the attendants, so that they could write you a ticket! Then, they increased the fine for violations from $10 to $25 and that jumps to $89 if you pay-up late.

All of this has resulted in several businesses (Including the only traditional newsstand in Sonoma County!) going bankrupt. The citizens of the city hate these new policies and the business owners hate it but the cities bean-counters are raking in almost $3 mil per year. and it appears as if theres no way to stop this crap but some day someones gonna shoot a parking attendant. You watch!

Welcome to the new world, I guess....

If the revolution was televised, Americans would watch "Dancing with the Stars".