Motorcycles in the HOV Lane?

Need to discuss the roads, highways, streets & the laws/unwritten rules that accompany use of the public system? Wanna chat safety? Got a beef about speeding or traffic enforcement? Want to rant about lane hogs, road ragers, drunks, cell users or overall bad drivers? Take your frank discussions about riding motorcycles & driving cars on public roads here.
User avatar
Ridercam
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Motorcycles in the HOV Lane?

Post by Ridercam » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:36 pm

I know the HOV lanes here in Northern California are for motorcycles. I ride HOV across the bridges at rush hour saving 2.50 per toll at rush hour.

I am working to change the way i do things and retooling to be lighter and smaller. I am trying to set up a commuter bike that carries all my production equipment. If i can fit it all into 2 pelican 1500 series cases and a backpack, i will be golden. The time difference riding driving is 30 minutes on the bike vs. over 2 hours to go 30 miles.
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.

Rob
Posts: 2765
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:05 am

Re: Motorcycles in the HOV Lane?

Post by Rob » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:16 pm

Ridercam wrote:I am working to change the way i do things and retooling to be lighter and smaller. I am trying to set up a commuter bike that carries all my production equipment. If i can fit it all into 2 pelican 1500 series cases and a backpack, i will be golden. The time difference riding driving is 30 minutes on the bike vs. over 2 hours to go 30 miles.
CBR250Rs have been set up with Pelicans on the sides.
Top speed of 90+ mph. Possible 70mpg, but that is easier on surface streets. I've found commuting on the interstate lowers my mpg. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/cbr250r/cbr250r

But you can easily change gearing if you are after more mileage. I also had a gel seat made for mine.

edit: and they are easily affordable, and ABS is available.
Rob V

User avatar
enigmaT120
Posts: 3408
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:25 am
Location: Falls City, OR

Re: Motorcycles in the HOV Lane?

Post by enigmaT120 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:40 pm

A guy at work has one but he won't let me ride it.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker

Rob
Posts: 2765
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:05 am

Re: Motorcycles in the HOV Lane?

Post by Rob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:04 am

enigmaT120 wrote:A guy at work has one but he won't let me ride it.
Not even if you let him ride your bicycle?
Rob V

User avatar
enigmaT120
Posts: 3408
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:25 am
Location: Falls City, OR

Re: Motorcycles in the HOV Lane?

Post by enigmaT120 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:19 pm

Rob wrote:
enigmaT120 wrote:A guy at work has one but he won't let me ride it.
Not even if you let him ride your bicycle?
I never bring my bicycle all the way to Stayton any more, (I leave it in the bus yard where I get on the bus) so it wouldn't be around for him to try. But now that you mention it, it's funny that several people have let me ride their motorcycles, but nobody has seemed interested in riding my R65. Should I feel insulted? It's suspension is lousy compared to the F650 I rode, and isn't even as good as the KLR 650's, but my motor is much more smooth than theirs.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker

User avatar
Ridercam
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Motorcycles in the HOV Lane?

Post by Ridercam » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:43 pm

Rob wrote:
Ridercam wrote:I am working to change the way i do things and retooling to be lighter and smaller. I am trying to set up a commuter bike that carries all my production equipment. If i can fit it all into 2 pelican 1500 series cases and a backpack, i will be golden. The time difference riding driving is 30 minutes on the bike vs. over 2 hours to go 30 miles.
CBR250Rs have been set up with Pelicans on the sides.
Top speed of 90+ mph. Possible 70mpg, but that is easier on surface streets. I've found commuting on the interstate lowers my mpg. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/cbr250r/cbr250r

But you can easily change gearing if you are after more mileage. I also had a gel seat made for mine.

edit: and they are easily affordable, and ABS is available.

I can't get a ride on one. Love to try it out. seems the honda dealers do not like to give test rides... maybe thats why i never bought a new honda.
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.

Rob
Posts: 2765
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:05 am

Re: Motorcycles in the HOV Lane?

Post by Rob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:51 pm

The dealer I bought mine from was anxious for me to test ride a NC700, but I wanted the 250 for it's seat height.
How many Honda dealers are there in your area? Surely one would have a used one you could try - hopefully with a stock muffler. That seems to be the first thing many of the young people change out when they buy one of these. They think they are getting a crotch rocket for $4000, and when it doesn't make enough noise (and yes, it is visually unappealing), they put on a slip on.
Then we see threads titled "Does anyone make a quiet aftermarket muffler?" :lol:
Rob V

Rob
Posts: 2765
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:05 am

Re: Motorcycles in the HOV Lane?

Post by Rob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:59 pm

And if you like glitz and don't mind being a billboard, it comes in Repsol colors which I find very nice.
But Honda doesn't make the Repsol bikes available with ABS! :?:

Image

But I think it would have a conspicuity advantage over the other colors. I know I notice them!
Rob V

User avatar
gocytocis
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:40 am

Re: Motorcycles in the HOV Lane?

Post by gocytocis » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:00 am

Reviving this Zombie thread with an update.

I was ticketed late last summer for riding in the HOV lane. Almost 6 months later, I finally had my day in court. I'm pleased to report that the charge against me was dropped, but I'm disappointed that it was due to 'no evidence' because the LEO who issued the ticket didn't show.

As a defendant & a motorcyclist, I feel somewhat vindicated, but I still would have preferred the opportunity to try out my defense. I believe I'll keep on riding in the HOV lane in hopes of being ticketed again!

On the other hand, as a taxpayer & citizen, I feel angry that we have police out there charging folks with 'offenses' that they're happy to accept fine payments for, but that they're not even prepared themselves to defend in court! It's also aggravating that they're willing to waste the court's time, & ultimately our tax dollars, on these kinds of tickets too!

If I factor my own time spent away from work & my family fighting this ticket (a $75 fine), I'd certainly have been better off just paying it, but it's satisfying to come away from traffic court once again with an unblemished record of fights won!
'72 R75/5
'07 G650x

User avatar
Gibson
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:45 am

Re: Motorcycles in the HOV Lane?

Post by Gibson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:14 am

On Long Island, HOV lane, Motorcycles OK.

Post Reply