Local auto shop shows poor form.

Need to discuss the roads, highways, streets & the laws/unwritten rules that accompany use of the public system? Wanna chat safety? Got a beef about speeding or traffic enforcement? Want to rant about lane hogs, road ragers, drunks, cell users or overall bad drivers? Take your frank discussions about riding motorcycles & driving cars on public roads here.
SteveD

Local auto shop shows poor form.

Post by SteveD »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuRa3fZT ... r_embedded

I rang 1300 760 855. Option 2.
This is supercheaps customer feedback hotline.

I spoke to a lady, and used terms/phrases like irresponsible, thoughtless, encouraging aggressive drivers, may be responsible to injury or death...etc etc, but in a calm and sensible manner.

I expect it'll be pulled from circulation, but has only been screened in WA so far I believe.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
grant81rs

Re: Local auto shop shows poor form.

Post by grant81rs »

Buggar,

It's not working now :o
Cheers, Grant
Gippsland - Australia

1978 R100RS
1981 R100RS
1994 K1100RS
2005 R1150gsa
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

How about a short description, Steve?
The Bigfella

Post by The Bigfella »

Try this link...

http://www.ironzombi.com/vid/Trent_Hend ... _CARMA.zip

That's a download of it I believe.

Short description.... a local boofhead racecage driver, known as "The Enforcer" fronts a campaign called Carma (a play on karma). It shows a bikie filtering between two lanes of cars (legal here) - and a driver opens his door right in front of the bikie. It cuts to the bike with a busted mirror.... and a comment "that's karma"

Essentially, it is encouraging violence against motorcyclists. Advert has been pulled. They have had many, many complaints. I had to wait 10 minutes to even get on to an answer machine. I must admit, I didn't leave a polite message. I was a bit more polite in my emails to them (I responded to their bullshit response too) - and suggested they fire their marketing manager and ad agency. I won't darken the doorstep of Supercheap Auto, BCF or Ray's Outdoors again.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

It's a video that indicates that opening your door on a motorcyclist is an acceptable action!!!!!
I believe the advert was shown on WA TV but has probably been pulled because of the outraged response from the public!!!

The video depicts a motorcyclist of the same old stereotypes....cruiser bike, black leathers, open face black helmet, dark glasses, 'tough' attitude. He's filtering slowly through stopped traffic when someone opens a car door on him, smashing his mirrors. No young blonde thing on a Vespa.

It finishes with the caption...CAR-MA.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
The Bigfella

Post by The Bigfella »

She'llbe

Post by She'llbe »

I saw your video where a car door is opened on a motorcyclist and breaks his mirror. I ride a motorcycle and find this ad detestable!!! I will not buy anything from you until you put up a sign over the door of my local Supercheap that retracts such behaviour!!!
This is the email that I sent to Supercheap just after viewing the link that Bigfella sent us.
From the desk of the
Mt. Nardi Yacht Club
PO BOX 95
Nimbin, NSW
Australia 2480
02-6689-1234
She'llbe

Post by She'llbe »

I sent an email to supercheap to request a sign be put over the door of my local supercheap that says they do not advocate automobile drivers open their doors on lanesplitters, bofore I would give them any business again. I sent another email saying that I and several of my motorcycle friends have not bought anything as we have not seen said sign installed. This is their answer, I think David Bauer should go into politics.

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting Supercheap Auto regarding the CARMA community service announcement (CSA) featuring lane splitting on motorcycles.

We have fielded a number of enquiries from motorcycling groups and enthusiasts about this, and as you may be aware the CARMA CSA has been removed from air pending discussions with key interest groups with a view to developing a new announcement.

We also appreciate your email, and have noted your request for signage.

Supercheap Auto has never condoned or encouraged dangerous actions to be directed towards motorcyclists. We have acknowledged the issues with the CSA and how it has been received by the motorcycle community, and we have been listening to the opinions on online forums (like the ones you mentioned in your email to us).

We have been in continued contact with key motoring groups to develop a new message, and will continue to work with these groups over the coming weeks.

We thought it may also be timely to provide you with some background on the CARMA campaign.

The campaign is part of a long-term and ongoing commitment to improving road safety across Australia through educating all road users on simple, effective behaviours which can increase awareness levels and reduce incidents of road trauma.

As a 100% not-for-profit campaign, our road safety initiative has been active for more than three-and-a-half years.

In developing CARMA, we consulted with world-leading road safety expert Russell White and continue to receive ongoing support and industry guidance.

As a result, the recent CARMA community service announcement was developed to highlight some of the potential dangers encountered by Australian motorists and to promote the most effective alternatives.

At no time was it the intention of CARMA to encourage legal or illegal activities that would put in danger the lives of motorists, including motorcyclists.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

David Bauer l Brand Manager

Supercheap Auto

751 Gympie Road, Lawnton, QLD 4501

Phone: 07 3482 7745 l Fax: 07 3205 8522

Email: DavidBa@supercheapauto.com
From the desk of the
Mt. Nardi Yacht Club
PO BOX 95
Nimbin, NSW
Australia 2480