an Airhead in the Baja 1000

If its a BMW racer you wanna talk about, we want see & hear about it RIGHT here!
Matt

an Airhead in the Baja 1000

Post by Matt »

thought that would get your attention :o

anyone here ever been to the Baja 1000 as a spectator or racer?
I am looking for info on when the last time somebody entered the Baja 1000 on an airhead BMW...ain't found it yet.
Every time I see a video or even think about the Dakar Rally my pupils dilate, my heart rate increases & I start panting. dakar is huge, far away and prohibitively expensive. and in the US you'd hardly know Dakar was even running...Its in January & no its not on TV.

so then there is the Baja 1000. It was this month...November, as it is every year. It is in Baja Mexico, literally in USA's back yard & it came & went like a fart in a breeze. No TV coverage....

I started thinking about it, then i started looking & it costs a mere $1400 to enter a motorcycle in the Baja 1000.
They give you 20 hours to complete the rally. & it got me thinking. Can an Airhead(the machine) finish the Baja 1000 in the time allowed? that means the bike must average 50mph for 20 hours off-road...

I think I'm going to go be a spectator in the near future.....I'm just curious if one could turn it into a more serious vaction
Matt Richards
BOXERWORKS
matt@boxerworks.com
Matt

Re: an Airhead in the Baja 1000

Post by Matt »

http://www.bikeexif.com/bmw-gs980r
here is something HPN made in 1985 to try for a win with...
Matt Richards
BOXERWORKS
matt@boxerworks.com
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Matt wrote:thought that would get your attention :o

anyone here ever been to the Baja 1000 as a spectator or racer?
I am looking for info on when the last time somebody entered the Baja 1000 on an airhead BMW...ain't found it yet.
Every time I see a video or even think about the Dakar Rally my pupils dilate, my heart rate increases & I start panting. dakar is huge, far away and prohibitively expensive. and in the US you'd hardly know Dakar was even running...Its in January & no its not on TV.

so then there is the Baja 1000. It was this month...November, as it is every year. It is in Baja Mexico, literally in USA's back yard & it came & went like a fart in a breeze. No TV coverage....

I started thinking about it, then i started looking & it costs a mere $1400 to enter a motorcycle in the Baja 1000.
They give you 20 hours to complete the rally. & it got me thinking. Can an Airhead(the machine) finish the Baja 1000 in the time allowed? that means the bike must average 50mph for 20 hours off-road...

I think I'm going to go be a spectator in the near future.....I'm just curious if one could turn it into a more serious vaction
When you decide to make your run, I will provide a support vehicle and on board cameras for the Baja. I am sure others would join in along the way. I see no reason a well prepared airhead would not complete the 20 hour requirement. I think your body may break before your bike would.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj7e2F-FD1s
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Matt

Post by Matt »

as much as I like the idea; from what Ive learned I don't think a mere mortal on a more or less stock GS could finish the Baja 1000 in time. I think the window is 20 hrs. thats an average of 50mph overall. Thats fast on a curvy paved road with no dirt sections. I'm thinking ou'd have to be a hell of a decent rider and a modified(heavily) Airhead GS would help immensely... Still, I'm not saying I wouldn't try 8-)

Still, somebody has to have run a Airhead in the Baja 1K... I wanna know who & when it occurred.
Matt Richards
BOXERWORKS
matt@boxerworks.com
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

I want to see that too. It is only recently that folks stopped with riding 247 motors in the Dakar. A modified fuel storage system, performance heavy duty drive shafts and check point rider tradeoffs would make the frankein GS bike would do a good turn.

I will donate a generous $5 for your new build.
HPN-Baja 
The "slim" HPN for the expert 
The HPN „Baja" is inspired by the BMW-works racing bikes, that have been build and serviced by HPN for the „Baja California 1000". Gaston Rahier and Eddy Hau won a class victory with it in 1985. It convinces by it’s low weight, easyness to handle, performance and it’s optic.

Technical data  (details)

Displacement: 1043 ccm
Power output: ca. 51 KW / 72 PS
Max. speed: ca. 180 km/h
Prices on request.

http://www.hpn.de/english/english.html
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.