I have to cancel the May 2011 rally

With annual BOXERWORKS rallies on 2 continents (and counting), they deserve a dedicated forum. & if any forum member would like to host a rally you can bring it up here.
Ken in Oklahoma

I have to cancel the May 2011 rally

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

I’m sorry to say that I’m not going to be able to have the May 2011 rally as we’ve all expected and have been looking forward to. I’ve got two things going on that are a problem.

First, both of my parents are not doing well, especially my mother. Both are badly demented and Mom may go at any time. This, in and of itself is not a show stopper, since I can’t base my life on what might happen when.

The big thing that looks like it will be a problem is the fact that I’ve bought a home in Boise Idaho and Spring and Summer are going to very busy seasons for me in Boise.

A bit of background. I’m mentioned to some of you that I had plans to buy a house in Idaho. The idea was and is to live in both places, spending winters in Oklahoma, summers in Boise, and Spring and Fall as it happens to work out–but allowing for the two rallies per year.

This spring is a particular problem for me because I have a lot to do in Boise. I have to get the house habitable, since it is empty. That means shopping and buying much of the stuff that goes inside a house. I also have to do some things to the house, such as getting the garage up to my specs, which means more power, more lighting, shelves, benches, etc. The house proper will have to be painted and have the hardwood floors refinished. I’m not going to be doing all that work myself, but I’ll still be doing a lot.

The big thing that has to happen this summer is to get the building of a new shop started. This will be the shop of my dreams, about the size of my shop and garage in Big Cedar combined. But in addition to that I plan for a “man cave” (a term I hate) add on if I can afford it. It will be about half the size of the shop proper and attached to it. About half of that area will be parking for my rider airheads. The other half will be the same except it will be a parking (and entertaining) area for me and friends. I plan to have a small bathroom and shower, desk, music, rudimentary kitchen facilities, and even a futon/bed. I also plan to have comfortable chairs with a good view of my airheads and a refrigerator and cool liquid refreshment.

I have a builder selected, but there’s a lot of talking and planning that has to be done.

And I’m planning on buying a 4 wheeled vehicle to station in Boise so that I can fly in for things like Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family, drive around as I please, and then fly back to Oklahoma.

So that’s the deal. I’m afraid that if I schedule a rally in May that parent problems, or other “homemaking” things might cause me to have to abort it. And I really don’t want to be in the position of screwing up mine and your plans. I see no reason why I can’t have the October rally though. The dates I would be looking at would be early in the month, but not on the same weekend as the Barber events.

Ken

Re: I have to cancel the May 2011 rally

Post by Deleted User 61 »

A bit of a shocker, but hey! - it sounds good to me!

We may just have to go the Aussie route, this year (no, not go to Australia... :roll: ), but to spread the love around.

Ya'll can come to my place for the F1 race! I hate crowds, so I will stay home and guard the tents. 8-)
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

R65 Rob wrote:A bit of a shocker, but hey! - it sounds good to me!

Ya'll can come to my place for the F1 race! I hate crowds, so I will stay home and guard the tents. 8-)
I thought the F1 race was in Texas. :?
Garnet

Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Why don't you have a "work party" rally in Boise?

Basicly we can have a party and watch Ken work. :lol:
Garnet

SuperDave

Post by SuperDave »

We may just have to go the Aussie route, this year (no, not go to Australia... :roll: ), but to spread the love around. Ya'll can come to my place for the F1 race! I hate crowds, so I will stay home and guard the tents. 8-)
Rob is bringing up a good point. Change of scenery as it were.
I don't know about heading to his place but "spread the love around" THIS ONCE might not be a bad thing.
Just a thought.... What area(s) of North America has a large group of users that can't make it to Ken's enough?
DaveJ
This space for rent
Deleted User 61

Garnet wrote:

I thought the F1 race was in Texas. :?
Oh - GP - duhhhh.... :lol:
(you can tell how much I am "into" sports.)

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.co ... napolisgp/
30yearoldjunk

Post by 30yearoldjunk »

Ken, please proceed and cancel the rally. You've got a full plate.
If either-or, I had your rally picked over the Texas National Rally, sponsored by the San Antonio BMW Riders Association.
Good luck!
Zane
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

SuperDave wrote: I don't know about heading to his place but "spread the love around" THIS ONCE might not be a bad thing.
Just a thought.... What area(s) of North America has a large group of users that can't make it to Ken's enough?
How about a west coast rally. Duane has a big yard...........and he goes to bed early.
Garnet

Ken in Oklahoma

More

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

One of the things I didn't really cover in my announcement is that my place is less than a mile from the Boise Airport. So if you're flying (or driving) to Boise for any reason it would be easy to get together.

There is some really nice riding north of Boise, essentially a whole state of it. There is a loop, about 100 miles ling that I have taken a few times with my brother, brother in law, and an old high school friend. The Rocky Mountains make for some great scenery. I'll have airheads in both places, Big Cedar and Boise.

The area around Boise is also home for me. All of my immediate family lives there. Most importantly I come from a functional family. We play well together. My family is overjoyed that I'm moving there.

So, if you're in the area I'd like to see you.

Ken

Surely you won't be under the flight-path??? :?