Boxerworks Forum Rally--The Official Dates

With annual BOXERWORKS rallies on 2 continents (and counting), they deserve a dedicated forum. & if any forum member would like to host a rally you can bring it up here.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: Boxerworks Forum Rally--The Official Dates

Post by Airbear »

SuperDave wrote: I believe tomorrow I'm going to do it right by collecting everything required, and do an Ironbutt SaddleSore 1k seeing how 1000 miles is easyer than I thought it would be. The weather is right, my muscle & bones are set, and I'm looking at the maps now for the best route.
Fekkin' hell, Dave. That is a long way to go in a day (1600kms!). Do take care, eh?

Have a lovely time, y'all. We'll be thinkin' of yez, sharing that fork.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

by Steve78RS View the latest post
Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:16 pm
That's what it says on the forums list, identifying Steve as the last poster in the Events forum. I can't find a "last post" that's Steve's at all. Is this a glitch?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Matt

Post by Matt »

i hate i couldn't make it. I have an r69s sitting in Denver. i'da been half way there if i was sitting at Kens. Couldn't pull it off. i'm told if you take the wheels off a /2 the whole thing will fit in the back of my '88 Saab 900T. nice weather in OK?
matt
Matt Richards
BOXERWORKS
matt@boxerworks.com
Ken in Oklahoma

The Rally is over

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Steve Bleaky was the last to leave this morning, on his gorgeous /2 conversion. Now it's just Giotto, the dog, and me.

It feels a little bit like an alcohol induced hangover, though no alcohol has passed my lips for a while. The feeling is familiar to me by now. I don't have a clue as to the why of the feeling. It just is. Soon I'll forget all about it until the last day of the next rally.

This rally was much different--and much the same. The biggest difference was size, something like 6 people and me. Another notable difference is that for perhaps the first time ever the inimitable Larry Fixit wasn't in the shop fixing and helping the owners fix an almost eclectic variety of motorcycles. Another difference is predictable: longer conversations where you could spend almost as much time talking as listening--if that is what you wanted to do. Another difference was that the conversations seemed to be about 'things', as opposed to focusing on motorcycles and motorcycling.

Perhaps as a summary statement I would say that this was more a gathering of good old friends than a gathering of people united by a common interest.

Two things will stand out in my memory of this rally. First would be that moment when we were sitting on the concrete pad watching Richard T doing something minor to his wife, LaDonna's, motorcycle, a gorgeous white, black pin striped '74 R75/6 with Wixom bags and (I think) a Wixom fairing. The thought that flitted through my mind was that I never get tired of looking at that motorcycle. And it wasn't just the motorcycle. Rather it was the motorcycle's fit to LaDonna, who obviously cherishes the bike with which she has a very long history. There are some things in this world that are just right!

The second thing that stands out in my memory is getting to see Steve Bleaky's /2 conversion, looking and running fine. The first time I saw the conversion I was focused on the details, like just what has to be done in the fitting of a 247 engine into the Earls forked precursor to the /5 and up airheads that interest me. And what unexpected details might be needed that I would never have dreamed of.

This time it was about the whole. The first time I saw the bike it wasn't running right. Now it does. And it all seems as if the motorcycle could have rolled off the BMW assembly line just that way.

Another notable impression was listening to Ron Moss and Doug Barlen talking about the Kawasaki Concours and getting a better feel for the genesis of the saying, "The best motorcycle BMW never built". Somehow it felt satisfying to me that a motorcycle company, other than BMW, was capable of getting it right, for people like me and us, and more importantly keeping it right.

This might sound a little maudlin, but in conclusion I want to say thank you guys who were able to attend the rally; and sorry I missed you this time around to those who for one reason or another weren't able to make it.

Ken

Matt wrote:. . . nice weather in OK?
In a word the weather was gorgeous. To use a few more words, the nights were cool, but not cold.

Maybe you'll get to come next time Matt.

Ken

Post by Flatwins »

Thanks again, Ken, for another enjoyable "meeting of the minds". It was was good to see everyone again. The old bike and I are both home safe!

Steve in Tulsa
Steve
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA
Ron Moss

Post by Ron Moss »

Ron and Teresa got home safe at 5:30. Gassed up at Mena, made it all the way home (285.2 miles) on one tank of gas. Haven't gone on reserve yet. Not to bad for the old "Blue Kaw".
Ken, thank you for the rally. We enjoyed it more than we could explain it. We are always looking forward to the next one.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid
Ken in Oklahoma

Ron Moss wrote:Ron and Teresa got home safe at 5:30. Gassed up at Mena, made it all the way home (285.2 miles) on one tank of gas. Haven't gone on reserve yet. Not to bad for the old "Blue Kaw".
Ken, thank you for the rally. We enjoyed it more than we could explain it. We are always looking forward to the next one.

Glad to hear you and Teresa are home safe and sound. I bet Sophie was glad to see you!

Ken

All accounted for

I"ve received emails from Doug in Arlington and Richard T. All are home OK.

Ken

Post by Ron Moss »

Here are some photos of the rally at Ken's, it was a small group this time but as good as ever. I didn't take as many pictures as in the past. Good friends, good food, like family except we don't squabble. Waiting til the spring rally, maybe more "family" will come.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18637153@N ... 079741797/
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid