Oz Boxerworks Rally, September 2010

With annual BOXERWORKS rallies on 2 continents (and counting), they deserve a dedicated forum. & if any forum member would like to host a rally you can bring it up here.
SteveD

Re: Oz Boxerworks Rally, September 2010

Post by SteveD »

Well I'm home after 1352+ ks in 2 days, and some fantastic roads, great company and the weather treated Grant and I like gods! It wasn't even too cold last night! Photos to follow when the ranga arse look dissipates just a little so I can sit for long enough. :lol:

Our 595 k route to Talbingo from my place. Add 120ks for Grant. http://goo.gl/maps/f2vZ lots of windy roads.

My 757 k route home, take off 120ks for Grant. http://goo.gl/maps/josQ We left at 0855 and enjoyed some of Oz's best roads, and a stretch of straight and boring...and I got home at 1840...9 hrs 45 min.
Last edited by SteveD on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I'm home. Bugger.
Great ride, bit of everything weather wise.
Bloody good bunch of blokes, that's what I reckon.
Gonna miss standing around that fire tonight.

Pics to come......soon.
Lord of the Bings
Deleted User 61

Post by Deleted User 61 »

Mal S7 wrote:i'm home!

Oh .... but i never left .. (sob)

Looking fwd to the stories and pics.

Mal
Glad you are still with us!

"There is no life, truth, intelligence..." ;) (edit: oh, that is Jeff - never mind...)
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

The punters.
From left. Ducati Pete, Grant81RS, SteveD, Ontic, Bob, She'llbe, Airbear, John and Clippo-

Ducati Pete, summoned by the great 'Council of Airheads' as to why he left /fivey at home. ;)

These buggers even glow in the daytime!

Lord of the Bings
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

More to come!

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ontic

Post by ontic »

I'm home too, and knackered. Great to meet you all.
It was a lovely run from Talbingo to Bethanga trying to keep up with the others then a run down the Hume to Melbourne. Got back just before 8pm.
After two weeks on the road, and only two 'showers' in that time, I've just come out of a very hot and long bath and am starting to feel slightly human again.

Great fun, looking forward to the next one.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Howdy Hans. It was great to catch up. 2 in 2 hey! I'd bet that bath was a long one!

Excellent night around the fire last night meeting new faces and putting them to usernames. About 2330 hrs the last of us hit the tents.

I was up and out around 0610, for a slash and set the fire going. With no-one else up and about it was a very peaceful spot. It was quiet, and still, allowing the smoke from the fire to slowly waft upwards amongst the tree tops and gently to the left in the pic. The river persisted with the relentless noise from the flow of its risen waters. It was cold, but pretty good considering where we were and what the weather had been like just 36 hours ago.

Soon enough there was movement at the campsite as weary bodies dragged themselves from the tents. Jeff had the right idea.

If only we could take pictures of smells. Two hours later Grant and I tucked into something similar at Adaminaby, after riding the Snowy Mountain Highway. Cool, even cold at times, but the road was fantastic early in the morning with little traffic.

The road weaved from those hills way in the distance, and if you squint you can see it meandering through that valley below, traversing the occasional mountain stream. The road surface was clean, visibility almost unlimited and the traffic zilch. Magnificent.

Last edited by SteveD on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Great photos ...but as soon as the rest of you blokes recover ....more please ? And an eloquent report from Charlie and another from Hans ?
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
The Bigfella

Post by The Bigfella »

Excellent.... oh, and by the way Hans and Charlie... you are both coming for the run up to Fingal on 25th, aren't you? Phil is coming over from Adelaide.

He's just working out whether the oilhead can tow a boat for the trip.

I'll be there with the F650
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Most of us rode in from Tumut, except Charlie, Hans and Rob. They all travelled via the more adventurous route from the south. I'll leave that for them to describe.

From the north, via Tumut, this is what we had to ride around. The road is fast and well made, sweeping in a loose parallel to the shoreline. Talbingo is unsighted in this picture but is way down the other end.

Grant was in front of me, pointing to left at the 'roos just metres from the road edge. Despite the great road we were taking it quietly as roadkill was everywhere. Some of them were huge, and they were mostly fresh!

I was glancing towards the right at the water and saw large mobs of a dozen or so 'roos...maybe 3-4 mobs over the short distance. Fourwheelers were all travelling slowly too. The girl at the bottle shop warned us about 'roos, wombats and emus. The next day we had to deal with the prospect of brumbies too, but were lucky enough to see them grazing away from the roadside.

Coming home, we had breakfast at Adaminaby, inspired by Jeff's b&e's. One can't ride past this town without seeing...

Coming home into Melbourne, the sun was setting on an excellent weekend.

Until the next time. :D
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.