The Official Thread for the May 2013 Boxerworks Rally

List any and all BMW Motorcycle rallies here.
Ken in Oklahoma

The Official Thread for the May 2013 Boxerworks Rally

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

(Right click to view)
N34.64260 W94.66135

Hello all. I just received an inquiry as to exactly what are the dates for the May 2013 rally. My apologies. I've been remiss in keeping y'all properly informed.

The Official Dates are (drumroll) May 17, 18, and 19. That seemed to be the dates everybody prefers, including me. Of course you are welcome to arrive earlier and if you like leave later. It's just that the major activity will be on those three days.

The following is the previous (major) post I made on the rally. There's some good info there so I wanted to gather it into the now "Official Thread".

Boxerworks Spring Rally is on!

Postby Ken in Oklahoma » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:05 pm
It’s time for a spring rally at my place. I’ve been missing you guys. (My fault because I’m the one who hasn’t hosted the rallies).

The rally is for Boxerworks guys (and the occasional gal), for Boxerworks lurkers, for people who own BMW motorcycles, for people who like BMW motorcycles (actual ownership not required), and for that matter, hell, for anybody who would like to hang out with such kinds of people.

You don’t need to bring a BMW either. You ride what puts a smile on your face. Pretty much the main requirement is that you want to be here.

This would probably be a good place to talk about when should we have the rally? I’m thinking about two different weekends. The first dates would be the 17th, 18th, and 19th of May, 2013. That’s sort of the traditional time period for the, uh, may rally

The other weekend would be 31 May and 1st and 2nd of June, 2013. I’m avoiding the weekend in between because that sort of encompasses Memorial day on the 27,th of May. That’s a long holiday weekend and I don’t think good timing for a rally, especially since many people put family before motorcycling.

As always the main theme is the universally acclaimed notion best described as “Decidedly Unorganized”. What that means is that there are no planned rides, no slow ride contests, no weenie on a string eating contests, no awards for best (or worst) of anything. You get the idea. Instead at some point somebody will say something like, “You guys gonna sit around all day? Let’s ride!”

And those who think that’s a good idea will start up their motorcycles and go for a ride.

About riding, those of you who haven’t been to a Boxerworks rally should know that where I live (which happens to be the official rally site) is 6 miles from the middle of the Talimena Scenic Drive, stretching from Talimena, OK to Mena, AR. If you don’t know this part of the country I suggest that you go on You Tube and search for, you guessed it, “Talimena Scenic Drive”. You ill see some videos that are guaranteed to get your motor running! There are other places to go and things to see, but typically most people choose the Talimena Scenic Drive.

Here’s some things you can expect when you arrive at the rally Site, or as I call it, “my place”. As you come through the gate you will see the all important porta potty, for those times when you really need one. A bit further and you will see a bunch of motorcycles, including a lot of (my personal favorites) Airheads. You will also see a bunch of people sitting around doing what we do best, BS’ing. A few of those people will interrupt those important sessions and will get up to greet you. They’ll start talking to you, forgetting that you can’t hear all that well with your helmet still on. Greetings over and motorcycle admired you find your way to the concrete pad in front of my garage (also known as Rally Central). Notice the parachute hung up like a giant parasol strung with a bunch of colorful lights–at least when it’s dark. Somebody will offer you a beer or soft drink and you will spot a lawn chair that looks good to you. You have arrived.

Here’s what you shouldn’t have to worry about. I will be laying in all the beer and soft drinks you will likely need. I will also have lots of breakfast, lunch, and dinner foods. I live out in the sticks, so to speak, and there aren’t many decent places to eat around here. You should also know that the Queen Wilhelmena lodge is closed. It is being rebuilt. Though camping is available there, there is no lodging or restaurant.

Most people will be eating here at the rally site though. For breakfast there will be things like bacon, eggs, cereals, bagels, cereals, and anything else that I can think of that might be wanted. If there’s something that you want to make sure I have on hand, say so and I will make sure it’s here. I will have a gas grill here which can be used to fry up things if that’s your pleasure. Basically you will rummage around in the ice boxes and on the table and pick whatever suits your fancy.

Lunch will be primarily sandwich fixings, but there’s nothing that says you can’t fix breakfast for lunch if you like.

For dinner there will be things like steaks, pork chops, chicken, and whatever else might sound good. Here’s where I expect to be departing a bit from what was done in the past. In the past there was a planned dinner menu, and somebody would make the meal, so to speak, cooking up a special recipe of theirs or some such. But that has kind of dwindled over the years. Last rally I was the “chef” for one meal, and it only worked out with the help of some fine ladies who rescued me. In the best of all possible worlds somebody would plan to fix one of their favorite meals and then do it. Friday night and Saturday night are the two big evening meals. Thursday, and Sunday nights there are usually only a handful of early arrivers and people left over on Sunday.

This is where I need help or ideas. As it stands now I’ll be laying in things for the evening meals, easy things that can be grilled mostly. And there will be accompanying mostly store bought things like salads, baked beans, and such. And there will also be store bought deserts. Nobody will go hungry and there will be good things to eat, but people may have to do a bit of impromptu rustling for themselves.

I would welcome somebody(s) chiming in and saying, hey I’ll do Friday night dinner and I’ll need X, Y, and Z. And I’ll make sure X, Y, and Z are here. It’ll work out, but it’s hard for me to be specific here.

Onto camping: A lot of people will be camping here. I have lots of room. Camping will be in the rough, meaning you will need to bring your camping gear. I have a few tarps, so you won’t have to load one of those bulky things on your motorcycle. I’ve got a gas powered weed eater which, if it runs, you can use to help clear out a site for yourself. I will have insect and tick repellents and you will need to use them, as you would camping anywhere. I will also have some LED flashlights to find your way to the porta potty in the dark of night.

For those less hardy folks, there is some lodging available nearby. About a half mile away from the site here there is the Big Cedar campground. They have about 3 cabins, I think, but they go fast. So you will need to hurry to get one. They also have lots of places for camper trailers and such. There is also the Talking Trees campground, about 15 miles away, up the mountain, across the Talimena Scenic Drive, then down the mountain and then hang a left towards Heavener. Then, about 5 miles away, you will see the Talking Trees campground is on the right. I don’t know what all they have to offer, but the last time I looked their website talked about “primitive” cabins, or words something like that. Also the Queen Wilhelmena lodge/campground has their campground open for RV campers, and also some tent sites.

Basically what I’m trying to do here is to have the stuff you need so you don’t have to load up your motorcycles with “stuff”. Don’t worry about lawn chairs. I’ve got plenty of ‘em.

I’ve also got a lot of wood to burn and a fire pit to burn it in. I should have done that years ago.

What about fees? There aren’t any as such. I do put out a kitty for donations. That’s worked for me in the past, and I think it works out for the rally goers as well

I would eventually like to know who all is coming. That’s so I can get an idea of how many people will be here and how much “stuff” I’ll need to lay in. If you say you’re coming and then you discover you can’t make it, that’s OK. In the same vein, if you discover that you can make it to the rally at the last minute, that’s really OK. The important thing here is to have people gathered around for a pretty damn good time. And if you have any unusual needs or wants, give me a holler and I’ll see what I can do. For example, it’s OK to arrive earlier or leave later than the scheduled dates. I’d just like to know so I can plan accordingly.

That’s all I can think of at the moment. Later, with Randy’s help we can get some maps up and such. Also Randy has tons of pics of past rallies, if they’re still in his online photo album. Randy?

Let me hear what you’re thinking, whether you think you can make it or not.

I’d like to hear some chatter about the rally, whether or not you think you can come. That’s one of the fun parts about having a rally.

The best way to contact me will probably be by PM through Boxerworks. You can also email me. I’m going to list my email in a “cute” manner hoping that you can decipher it and the mal bots can’t.

It is kenclev leave out these words dot com.

Ken

Re: The Official Thread for the May 2013 Boxerworks Rally

Post by bbelk »

I plan to be there!
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
It's just that the major activity will be on those three days.

Ken
Oh dear, he won't do anything embarrassing will he?
Lord of the Bings
Ken in Oklahoma

ME 109 wrote: Oh dear, he won't do anything embarrassing will he?

Hmmm, that causes me to wonder what you guys down under might consider embarrassing. We know, for example, that putting a toilet on an airhead is considered innovative, practical, and (especially) funny, or at least I think it is. While back here in 'merica I read about a lady who accidentally farted in church and then, mortified, she threw herself off of a nearby cliff. This suggests possibly a different cultural threshold for embarrassment.

Actually, the Major has entertained us twice now, and we all thought it was just ducky. (Uh, is that a word you use down there, or is it limited to that big island just off of France?)

But whatever embarrassment might mean to whom, alcohol decidedly raises the threshold. Or should I say lowers it? And the rally attendees have been known to drink it. Admittedly this is abetted by me having a cooler full of iced beer, and more ready to cool as soon as the cooler has room for it.

Ken

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Say Ken, due to the remoteness of your place and the peanut-sized fuel tank of my bike (3.4 gal), I was wondering if I could intrude on you for a fill-up or two while I am there. I would expect to pay a handsome premium, of course. I don't plan on seeing Heavener except on my way in and out, and I hope to do a dirt road loop on the ridge south of you to the east. I don't expect to find any gas along the way.

And yeah - most CBR250R owners report pretty good fuel usage reports.
Honda claims 77 MPG, and from what I've read, that is a reasonable expectation. But it is not what I am seeing:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/cbr250r/cbr250r/fuelchart

Over 8 fill ups last Fall, I averaged 58.2 MPG with a best of 64.7. All time low of 52.96.
Not bad figures at all, until you remember you have less than 3 1/2 gallons with no reserve (just an "optimistic fuel guage that starts flashing that last bar way too early).
I may carry a bottle of fuel for this trip...
Then I'd be like those guys on ADV Rider! :mrgreen:
Ken in Oklahoma

justoneoftheguys wrote:Say Ken, due to the remoteness of your place and the peanut-sized fuel tank of my bike (3.4 gal), I was wondering if . . .
Sure Rob. I'll fill up a "Jerry Can" with gas (sans ethanol).

Ken

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
justoneoftheguys wrote:Say Ken, due to the remoteness of your place and the peanut-sized fuel tank of my bike (3.4 gal), I was wondering if . . .
Sure Rob. I'll fill up a "Jerry Can" with gas (sans ethanol).

Ken
Thanks Ken, you are the host with the most! :D
I don't require anything other than regular grade if that is what you normally keep.

I'm hoping to put the bike on the lift to check the chain for adjustment. No centerstand. :( I do have spools on the swingarm, but I'm betting you don't have a rear wheel stand in your vast and varied tool collection.
We may need to jack it up with a scissors jack and a small piece of wood. I'll have to check in on the CBR forum for details on that.

My latest plans are to see the oldest stretches of Route 66 in NE Oklahoma after leaving Ron's! I'm excited!
Deleted User 287

Do you have free Wi-Fi like McDonalds? :)
Ken in Oklahoma

justoneoftheguys wrote: I'm hoping to put the bike on the lift to check the chain for adjustment. No centerstand. :( I do have spools on the swingarm, but I'm betting you don't have a rear wheel stand in your vast and varied tool collection.
We may need to jack it up with a scissors jack and a small piece of wood. I'll have to check in on the CBR forum for details on that.

My latest plans are to see the oldest stretches of Route 66 in NE Oklahoma after leaving Ron's! I'm excited!

No, I don't have a stand, per se. But we can "get 'er done". I have one of those glorified jacks which goes under the bike center and, if there's a level are on the underside, you can hydraulicaly jack 'er up. Failing that I can find some wooden blocks and there will people around to keep your bike upright while you do your mechanicing.

Hell, with all the people around we don' need no steenkin' jack. We can bodily lift up your bike and set it on blocks--then set it down again.

Ken

That sounds great Ken! A couple of short lengths of 4x4 or even cinder blocks should do it.
It shouldn't even need adjustment as by then I will have installed my little chain oilier that ZM talked me into getting. :D

I'm sorry you were in a cranky mood last night. Perhaps you would like to see the day ride I hope to do on Saturday or Sunday (I have the cabin for 3 nights): http://goo.gl/maps/KunLU

You can let me know if I am dreaming - that in reality the woods are full of 'shiners with shotguns assault weapons or something. ;)