The Official Thread for the May 2013 Boxerworks Rally

List any and all BMW Motorcycle rallies here.
montmil

Re: The Official Thread for the May 2013 Boxerworks Rally

Post by montmil »

Crunch and I have delayed our Thursday morning Bonham, Texas, meet up for an hour or so. Want to let the debris finish falling outta the sky after last nights rash of killer (six dead, so far) tornadoes in our area of North Texas. Now wondering about the dirt road into Ken's Party Palace... sloppy wet, damp, dry? No matter, we'll see y'all there Thursday afternoon.
1981 R65
1983 R65
1978 R100S
1995 Triumph Trophy
richard t

Post by richard t »

awshucks wrote:I ran a tiny one in '11 at the Rich Mntn Store. Just got word of this one today, went to NC to 'tame' the Dragon Tail at Deals Gap. 1400 round trip, got home at noon today, the 15th. Problem is an 'S' fairing and a blown fuse n the headlight shell has kiboshe my turn signal, horn, speedo light, ect.

Not sure if I can get the bezel off w/o taikng the fairing off? I'm only about 29 miles from Ken's.
Looking forward to seeing you again, I'll be in sat. The 2011 rally was tiny but me and Mike sure had a good time.
richard t

Post by richard t »

montmil wrote:Crunch and I have delayed our Thursday morning Bonham, Texas, meet up for an hour or so. Want to let the debris finish falling outta the sky after last nights rash of killer (six dead, so far) tornadoes in our area of North Texas. Now wondering about the dirt road into Ken's Party Palace... sloppy wet, damp, dry? No matter, we'll see y'all there Thursday afternoon.
the road into Kens is gravel/ all weather was time I was there, Except for a mud hole at the end of Ken's drive way the first year, (we don't need to talk about) no one has had a problem getting there
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

montmil wrote: . . . Now wondering about the dirt road into Ken's Party Palace... sloppy wet, damp, dry? No matter, we'll see y'all there Thursday afternoon.
I just went out to the road to put out a roundel and to take a hard look at the road (River Lane). It's OK and I expect it to stay OK. The county road authority has "improved" the road over the years since that infamous slippery road during the first rally. I put quotes around "improved" since little has been done except to apply a light coat of gravel over it, which has a tendency to get pushed into the dirt. So prudence is appropriate.

Of course you can always call me on my cell phone at two oh eight 559 0187 and I'll come get you. ;)

Y'all will be looking at weather forecasts. Here's what NWS is saying at 8:00 AM:

Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 1pm, then showers and thunderstorms likely after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 72. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

As I interpret the current radar loop, it looks like a scattered shower front is about to push through. It's not raining here at the moment. Of course that doesn't say much about what it will be like this afternoon. I've seen a lot of rainy conditions "bloom up" and rain clouds appear where there weren't any.

The really good news is that there is no rain in the forecast for Fri, Sat, and Sun.

Ken

Post by Crunch »

Monte & I are cooped up in McD in Bonham waiting on storms to pass. He's on his 3rd cup of joe.
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

I am in the fine town of Wewoka, OK after riding about 750 miles the last couple of days. Yesterday was the first time I've been to the OK panhandle. It's big and not crowded, a long and sort of lonely ride.

Wednesday night I camped at Black Mesa State Park in OK - that place is nice. I hung out and partied a bit with a bunch of game wardens that were having an annual get-together. They fed me barbeque and gave me beers. It was fun. When on a long solo motorcycle ride one meets the coolest people.

It's foggy here this morning but supposed to clear up in a couple of hours. It's about 75 more miles or so to Ken's it looks like from the map.

See you guys in a few hours!
Ron Moss

Post by Ron Moss »

Ron and Teresa home safe and sound from Ken's
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

I am so disappointed that I didn't make it. I am looking forward to Randy's pictures.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
richard t

Post by richard t »

I got home 10 minutes ahead of the storm, i had a great time , thanks Ken and the rest
Doug in Arlington

Post by Doug in Arlington »

Michelle and I just got in , bad headwinds all the way. Was more comfortable and relaxed on the way up in the downpour than today in the winds. Had to stop several times to just take a break.

We had a great time, thank you Ken for hosting and Randy for sponsoring, and everyone for being a part of it. It is about the people and that is what makes it special.

Thanks again to all who make it happen.

Doug and Michelle