"Mark & Quote"

If you figure out something cool related using the Forum, share what you know here!
Post Reply
Deleted User 61

"Mark & Quote"

Post by Deleted User 61 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:07 pm

On the R65 forum (YaBB), there is a button in the reply box, next to the "Quote" button that says "Mark & Quote".

Using this feature, one only need highlight the portion of a previous post, and then only that part will be included in the quote box, along with the original poster's name & time.

It would be nice if that option were available, here.

Please see this thread for more information. Specifically my reply, which is pretty much what is said here, but with context.

http://boxerworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1389

User avatar
Steve in Golden
Posts: 2752
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Golden, CO USA

Re: "Mark & Quote"

Post by Steve in Golden » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:23 pm

R65 Rob wrote:Using this feature, one only need highlight the portion of a previous post, and then only that part will be included in the quote box, along with the original poster's name & time.
When replying to a topic (not the quick reply) have you noticed the "quote" button for each post in the Topic Review part of the screen? You highlight only the text you want to quote and click the quote button and it does as you describe. Well not the date/time of the original post. That could probably be arranged fairly easily though.

I have found it is rather easy to click the wrong quote button in the topic review.

Deleted User 61

Re: "Mark & Quote"

Post by Deleted User 61 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Yes Steve, I have seen the Quote button. I have used it many times. It simply gives you the codes: [quote][/quote]

If the writer chooses, it is a "fairly simple" matter of inserting ' ="quoted username" ' in between "quote" and the closing bracket. i.e. [quote="Duane Ausherman"]quoted text[ /quote]

User avatar
Steve in Golden
Posts: 2752
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Golden, CO USA

Re: "Mark & Quote"

Post by Steve in Golden » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:16 pm

R65 Rob wrote:Yes Steve, I have seen the Quote button. I have used it many times. It simply gives you the codes:...
Well there's the quote buttons when reading a topic, which quotes the whole post, then there's the quote buttons in the Topic Review when replying to a topic, which quote only the selected text.

Deleted User 61

Re: "Mark & Quote"

Post by Deleted User 61 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:19 pm

Steve in Golden wrote:then there's the quote buttons in the Topic Review when replying to a topic, which quote only the selected text.
HEY! THAT'S IT!!!!

(and it does put in the poster's name!)

(nevermind, Web Mistress)

We will need to point this out to Ken, though!

User avatar
Ken in Oklahoma
Moderator
Posts: 3144
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: "Mark & Quote"

Post by Ken in Oklahoma » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:55 pm

R65 Rob wrote:HEY! THAT'S IT!!!!

OK, I tried it on Rob's post and it worked. I hardly ever use the "reply post" button so it wasn't on my radar.

Now somebody needs to inform the unwashed masses so more than three of us know how to do it.

Or more than two cuz I just might forget again. But at least I did it on this post.

:D :D :D


Ken
____________________________________
There's no such thing as too many airheads

User avatar
Jeff in W.C.
Posts: 1400
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:20 am
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: "Mark & Quote"

Post by Jeff in W.C. » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:38 pm

R65 Rob wrote:
Steve in Golden wrote:then there's the quote buttons in the Topic Review when replying to a topic, which quote only the selected text.
HEY! THAT'S IT!!!!

(and it does put in the poster's name!)

(nevermind, Web Mistress)

We will need to point this out to Ken, though!
Now Now guys. We can't go around solving our own problems. The Web Mistress has a job here to do, and it's not fair if other people go around doing her job. :mrgreen:
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash

Deleted User 61

Re: "Mark & Quote"

Post by Deleted User 61 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Jeff in W.C. wrote:Now Now guys. We can't go around solving our own problems. The Web Mistress has a job here to do, and it's not fair if other people go around doing her job. :mrgreen:
No problem. I banned my own I.P. address here at work the other night. I thought I was banning a spammer's IP. :lol:

She fixed me up jig time! (Aren't you glad? ;) )

Post Reply