Vote whether or not to time limit the edit posts button.

If you figure out something cool related using the Forum, share what you know here!

Should the edit button be time limited or freely open?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:42 pm

15 minute limit is what most boards use. Why should Boxerworks be different?
3
11%
2 hours is BEYOND plenty to modify posts and yet maintain historical value.
5
19%
The edit button should not be time limited unless another situation arises.
19
70%
 
Total votes: 27

User avatar
gspd
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:04 pm

I'm not voting

Post by gspd » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:00 pm

I edit my posts frequently because because sometimes I make mistakes. my posts frequently
Sometimes I move text around and forgewt to erase the extra parts that don't belong.
Sometimes I hhit the key wrong key and get double letters or hit too kys ay once.
Or or i write there insyed of their.
And then sometimes I say two connect the red wire to a solid ground but I ment blackk
that could strart a fir
Image

User avatar
Max Headroom
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: I'm not voting

Post by Max Headroom » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:13 pm

gspd wrote:I edit my posts frequently because because sometimes I make mistakes. my posts frequently
Sometimes I move text around and forgewt to erase the extra parts that don't belong.
Sometimes I hhit the key wrong key and get double letters or hit too kys ay once.
Or or i write there insyed of their.
And then sometimes I say two connect the red wire to a solid ground but I ment blackk
that could strart a fir
Yeah, hate it when that happens. :twisted:
"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."

- Mark Twain

User avatar
gspd
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: I'm not voting

Post by gspd » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:49 pm

The web mistress wrote: Noted. So we should give a 24 hour limit with a delimiter to "only if alcohol [sans et al] doesn't limit your mental capacity". Got it. :) Point well taken.
and
The Web Mistress wrote:Noted. So we should give a 24 hour limit with a delimiter to "only if alcohol [sans et al] doesn't limit your mental capacity". Got it. :) Point well taken.
and
The web mistress wrote: Noted. So we should give a 24 hour limit with a delimiter to "only if alcohol [sans et al] doesn't limit your mental capacity". Got it. :) Point well taken.
Ok OK ms. kelly web mistress.
Even if you say it 50 times, I probably still won't get it.
Are you implying that if I get kicked off the forum I'll quit drinking?
Image

User avatar
The Veg
Moderator
Posts: 2620
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:34 am
Location: Larryville Jawja
Contact:

Re: Vote whether or not to time limit the edit posts button.

Post by The Veg » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:20 am

The Web Mistress wrote:
The Veg wrote:Bevahiour seems to be the crux of the matter. I've never seen a recreational (key word there) forum that time-limited the edit function, but then the issues we saw in the past were fairly unique too. I do agree that the questions should be worded as functionally as possible- the way they stand now as I write this seems a little bit 'editorialised.' possibly reflecting someone's opinions. Polls with tangible outcomes should strive for objectivity, period.

I also remain open to the idea that this issue might require some trial & error to get comfy.
Polls always equate to OPINION which do NOT necessarily equate to OBJECTIVITY. It's what people want... and it's driven by experience and emotion nine times out of ten... thus, objectivity is subject to the user; not by the poll.

Even so, write the questions as objectively as possible. Editorialising in them gets construed as trying to lead or influence the user, and certainly makes the questioner appear less respectful of the user's opinions, to say nothing of coming across as crass and snide. Take the high road, *I dare you!* :mrgreen:
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me

User avatar
gspd
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: I'm not voting

Post by gspd » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:50 pm

The Web Mistress wrote:[ I was joking around. Sorry it didn't come through as such.
PS - My name has second "E" in it. :~)
Hi Keelly
Sorry I forgot the second E in your name.
I knew you were just joking around
I sometimes joke around a bit too. :)
Image

Deleted User 61

Re: Vote whether or not to time limit the edit posts button.

Post by Deleted User 61 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:56 pm

The Veg wrote: Even so, write the questions as objectively as possible. Editorializing in them gets construed as trying to lead or influence the user, and certainly makes the questioner appear less respectful of the user's opinions, to say nothing of coming across as crass and snide.

I agree with your thoughts on this, Veg.

User avatar
Airbear
Posts: 2675
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Re: Vote whether or not to time limit the edit posts button.

Post by Airbear » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:05 pm

Thanks for the giggles in the last few posts.

Dear Kelley (Most Excellent and Omnipotent Webmistress), would it be possible to include a 'Reason for editing:' line when a post is edited? Some will ignore it, but I think most will use it. We are all honourable folks here. Mostly.

ps: Love yer werk, mate. I'm getting used to all the red dots under all the non-US english words I am compelled to use.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6
Image

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)

Locked