RESOLVED - Editing Posts & Quoting Others Entries Available

Jeff in W.C.

Re: The disappearing Edit button

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

The Web Mistress wrote:
Jeff in W.C. wrote:Web Mistress and Matt,
The edit button disappears after a while. While I'm sure there's a reason for the short duration, I would prefer a bit more time to be able to edit a post. Just my $0.02.
Hey Jeff,

The button appears to "disappear" because we've set a time limit at 15 minutes for a member to edit their posts. After 15 minutes, we've decided that the edit button is no longer needed. Can you justify a reason for us to do otherwise?

Cheers,

- TWM
Every once and a while, I realize that my fingers just are not keeping up with my mind, and a word is left out of what I was trying to say that it changes the context of what I was posting. It's not until I come back later that I notice it. The most recent example is under the Interesting Quote in the Speakeasy. Granted this is the exception, but it would still be nice to be able to go back and edit the original post rather than posting a correction. At least now I know the time limit now. Whatever Matt and you decides for this forum, I will live with.

Thanks.
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
Deleted User 61

Re: The disappearing Edit button

Post by Deleted User 61 »

The Web Mistress wrote:
Jeff in W.C. wrote:Web Mistress and Matt,
The edit button disappears after a while. While I'm sure there's a reason for the short duration, I would prefer a bit more time to be able to edit a post. Just my $0.02.
Hey Jeff,

The button appears to "disappear" because we've set a time limit at 15 minutes for a member to edit their posts. After 15 minutes, we've decided that the edit button is no longer needed. Can you justify a reason for us to do otherwise?

Cheers,

- TWM
To Web Mistress:
I think Ken Whitehawk has a good argument in this post:
http://boxerworks.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... tures#p806
Major Softie

Re: Editing Posts & Quoting Others Entries Now Available

Post by Major Softie »

I like 2 hours a lot better.
MS - out
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

2 hours is better than 15 minutes, but I don't understand why it needs any restriction? Seems unusual to me :?:
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Jeff in W.C.

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

Two hours is certainly better than 15 minutes. I do believe Matt's making decisions that seem the best for the board, whether we agree with them or not. I don't want to sound ungrateful, because I'm not. I do appreciate all that Matt is doing. However, it seems as though the majority is being punished for the actions of a few. IMO, it would make more sense to ban the individuals who delete posts rather than limit the edit time for all.

Anyway, that's my $0.02, and the last one this subject. I know Matt has more important things to do than have a long discussion on editing posts on the forum.

Once again,
Thanks to Matt for all he does here.
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
Scot

Post by Scot »

[quote="Jeff in W.C."] IMO, it would make more sense to ban the individuals who delete posts rather than limit the edit time for all.

I don't understand, Jeff. Why should anyone suffer punishment for deleting a post they created? Doesn't seem right to me. It's their post. If they want it to disappear, why should they be punished for it?
Deleted User 61

Post by Deleted User 61 »

Scot wrote:
Jeff in W.C. wrote: IMO, it would make more sense to ban the individuals who delete posts rather than limit the edit time for all.

I don't understand, Jeff. Why should anyone suffer punishment for deleting a post they created? Doesn't seem right to me. It's their post. If they want it to disappear, why should they be punished for it?

Right, we just need to quote them so it stay as part of the record, if it is that important.