/2 tranny assembly

Single & twin cylinder model BMW Airhead specific discussions
rich102650

/2 tranny assembly

Post by rich102650 »

I am/was planning to assemble a /2 tranny from a large assortment of cases and internal parts I have accumulated over the years. After reading Duane A's section on /2 transmissions I am concerned that I may have issues with the dogs and sliders matching up. Yet it seems it would not be a big issue of sliding them on a shaft and finding a "best fit" Am I missing something here?? Also, Duane mentioned that the gear set should be "sloppy" while a Ed Korn's video says the gear set should be discarded if it is sloppy. Makes sense to be loose but I get gusess how much is too loose? I have a mint gear set that is not loose at all. Go figure!!

Any input would be appreciatted!!
Rich
Forum Admin

Re: /2 tranny assembly

Post by Forum Admin »

Hi Rich, I found your topic in the BMW Motorcycle s Section & moved it to the Classic Section for 55-69 models. What a challenge to put a gearbox together from scratch ey?
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

We would build up a couple of dozen transmissions each winter. We always tried to keep the gear set with the proper case. It was not always possible. We would put those mismatched parts together with good used bearings, as it would make up a "lower quality" transmission. Good gear sets would get new bearings in a good case to make up a higher quality transmission.

You can examine the sliders and dogs for wear and see how they were working.

I suggest that you proceed with the plan. No matter how it works out, you will learn something. If you are going to use the transmission yourself, then monitor it carefully for metal in the oil. Dramatic total failures are quite rare if one knows what to watch.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Deleted User 61

Post by Deleted User 61 »

Duane Ausherman wrote:No matter how it works out, you will learn something.

yeah, that is why I want to open up my transmission that I trashed.
Duane Ausherman wrote:If you are going to use the transmission yourself, then monitor it carefully for metal in the oil. Dramatic total failures are quite rare if one knows what to watch.
Oh, these things need oil? :lol:
rich102650

Post by rich102650 »

Thanks for the responce, I will give it a whril. Not much to loose!
As far as the end play shims, I plan on using Ed Korns "form a gauge" or what ever that Playdough stuff is called.
I would also add that some of the collection of cases and parts were from modified transmissions for use in a VW conversion which is what I would use it for. My trans went south after 40 years of use! It had been rebuilt 20 years ago at Hansons BMW in Medford Oregon after a bearing failed while visting Crater Lake. This last time messed up the bearing bores. I have a complete modified transmission that I will use this Spring (state of useability unknown) so I would like a back up.

Second question. Anyone know of a "merciful" machinist that could refurbish the spun bearing bores of a tranny case? I have jigs and all to do the job. Years ago in Long Island (where I live) there were hundreds of machine shops that supported Grumman Corporation. I used to get things done all the time. Now forget it!

Thanks!
Rich
Deleted User 61

I recommend you give Bob Grauer a PM (robtg) here on the forum. He is in California, but I think if he is interested, you would benefit greatly, despite the shipping.

Also Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage - a little closer to you, in PA.
(215) 321-7944
1360 Colony Way
Yardley, PA 19067

From the IBMWR website:

"Tom is a frequent and valued contributor to the IBMWR Tech list, and perhaps does more transmission and final drive rebuilds than any other mechanic in the USA."
robtg

Post by robtg »

R65 Rob wrote:I recommend you give Bob Grauer a PM (robtg) here on the forum. He is in California, but I think if he is interested, you would benefit greatly, despite the shipping.

Also Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing Garage - a little closer to you, in PA.
(215) 321-7944
1360 Colony Way
Yardley, PA 19067

From the IBMWR website:

"Tom is a frequent and valued contributor to the IBMWR Tech list, and perhaps does more transmission and final drive rebuilds than any other mechanic in the USA."

Thanks Rob for the recommendation, but i am not doing transmissions anymore. Cylinder head rebuilding only "70 on pushrod twins.
Deleted User 61

robtg wrote:Cylinder head rebuilding only "70 on pushrod twins.
And I am thinking of taking you up on that, perhaps next winter, on my new Nikasil R65 engine. Just for baseline. Who knows, maybe I got lucky and the valve work has already been done. But by whom? :shock:
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

I have never used the plasti-guage stuff for measuring end play. How does it stack up against using a depth mic?
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Deleted User 61

Duane Ausherman wrote:How does it stack up against using a depth mic?
You are so clever, Duane! :lol: