Oil and Slingers

Single & twin cylinder model BMW Airhead specific discussions
rdnhaz

Re: Oil and Slingers

Post by rdnhaz »

Well hello again.
I looked at what was available and tried to find out what is in these Non-deturgent oils but most now post or print on them that they have NO Additives and are not to be used in internal combustion engines! What are they for, oiling the wooden axels in a horse cart?
FRUSTRATION! I finally bought a 5 gallon bucket of Shell Rotella SAE 40 HD the one with over 1200ppm ZDDP that Vech recommends. I did a special order from the depot of "Car Quest" auto parts. It was $60 ($3.00 a quart) so I can fill the Engine, Diff, and Transmission. I guess when I get the slingers cleaned I can be ready to do it again in 25K miles. Practice!
If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.
1959 R60, 1983 R80RT, CT90, XR250R
rdnhaz

Post by rdnhaz »

Well hello again.
I looked at what was available and tried to find out what is in these Non-deturgent oils but most now post or print on them that they have NO Additives and are not to be used in internal combustion engines! What are they for, oiling the wooden axels in a horse cart?
FRUSTRATION! I finally bought a 5 gallon bucket of Shell Rotella SAE 40 HD the one with over 1200ppm ZDDP that Vech recommends. I did a special order from the depot of "Car Quest" auto parts. It was $60 ($3.00 a quart) so I can fill the Engine, Diff, and Transmission. I guess when I get the slingers cleaned I can be ready to do it again in 25K miles. Practice!
If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.
1959 R60, 1983 R80RT, CT90, XR250R
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

As far as I know, there are no longer any non-detergent oils made as "motor oils" any more. "Motor oils" now, by definition, are detergent oils. Non-detergent oils of that weight are made for non-motor metal to metal lubrication: like for chain saw bars, lathes, pumps, compressors, etc.. I do not know if any of them have ZDDP or not, but they certainly could. Oil companies are not very forth-coming about such details.

So, while you can buy non-detergent 30w or 40w oils now, I don't know whether or not you can buy a product today that is equivalent to the non-detergent motor oils of yesteryear.
MS - out
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I ran my 1964 R60 on Mobil 1 15W 50 for seven years.
The bike was always in service during that time.
In my thinking the full synthetic will have much less residue and materials in the oil that could be deposited in the slingers. It should keep things cleaner IMO. I never had a problem.
Any and all disclaimers may apply