/2 electrical questions

Single & twin cylinder model BMW Airhead specific discussions
tenni128

/2 electrical questions

Post by tenni128 »

So, now that the R69 is up and running, I have two questions straight away regarding the electrics.
First, what should the key left and right positions do differently? Or does it matter? As it is now, key down allows the bike to run, as well as neutral and generator lights. Left or right both turn on the headlight and taillight and, interestingly, the speedo light only comes on with the key to the left.

Second: The generator light does start to go out once the bike starts, which indicates to me that it's generating but if I disconnect the battery and meter the leads it doesn't read any voltage (at the battery leads). Should the generator make the lights work with the battery unplugged? Or is the battery needed to complete the circuit? I have a new BMW harness that I got from Tim Stafford, so the wiring is new.
Kurt in S.A.

Re: /2 electrical questions

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Check Duane's manual for functions of the nail key:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/2man/

As for the battery, I suspect you have to have a load on the system to read anything. But that's a guess.

Kurt in S.A.
tenni128

Post by tenni128 »

That was helpful, thanks. Now I just need to find out what I hooked up to get headlaight power in both directions. Otherwise seems like it's working. Also: On my headlight bucket, I have four lights. The two, side by side red and green ones and then two more. The orange I would expect was for turn signals. There's another red one as well, to the right of the speedo. From what I can find, in 1969 this was used for the generator light. If that's correct, then what's the red light next to the neutral indicator for? There's no oil pressure sender, is there? My manual is crap and I haven't been able to track that down as it seems like a transistion year thing. So close!
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

I thought that the headlight high beam light was rerouted for the 1969 models. See some pictures on Jeff's site:

http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm

Kurt in S.A.
tenni128

Post by tenni128 »

Ah, you beat me to it. I found it. So the signal wire should just come off the headlight housing and go back to the small red triangle light I suppose.